Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2003 08:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Morrison We currently on site have between 20 to 25 temps per day working in the assembly and stores areas where the wearing of safety footwear is required. At present none of our temps are provided with any footwear. Obviously cost is an issue and some temps may only work a few days or weeks on site and then leave.We have tried going back to the agencies but they also do not provide safety footwear. Does anyone have any ideas, advice on how they have dealt with this? Thanks Bill
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 September 2003 08:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Bill There have been discussions on this topic before; try using the search facility to find them. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 September 2003 08:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Jarman Bill, I would suggest that it is made a condition of the contract with the agency that workers they supply already have safety footwear. It is not reasonable for a company to supply safety footwear to temporary workers. I have previously worked in an organisation where this policy was sucessfully implemented. Regards Mark
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 September 2003 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser It comes down to who actually employs them - the "employer" is the one who has the legal obligation to provide PPE FOC under the '74 Act and 92 Regs. If staff takenm on are techinically self-employed then the onus is on themselves to provide sufficient protective gear to carry out their work - no gear, no work. Unfortunately, it is only you who can actually enforce this - it is your risk assessment that has determined that safety footwear must be used. This is where the difficulty comes in. If you are the only client that demands this, then you are in a poor bargaining position. However, if all existing and potential clients using similar agency workers also have this requirement, it would be reasonable to consider it as being standard. If you all get together and agree to refuse to take on temporary agency staff who are not adequately kitted out, then the agencies will see the writing on the wall and will do something about it sharpish. If not, then you are all tacitly accepting the situation as it is and unless you then provide the gear, nothing will improve. It's easy for me to preach as I am not in this position, but if you are asking the question then you might be on the way to making a stand - refuse to accept temps unless they are properly kitted out, or provide it yourselves. Alternatives are to review your work practices - if footwear is not essential in all areas, dictate where it is and enforce it while relaxing the requirement elsewhere. On the other hand, employ long term temporary or permanent staff directly! Always easier said than done, though, isn't it? :-)
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 September 2003 18:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman The employer, (the temp agency) must supply required protective equipment. I do not think that there is any legal alternative. If you agency will not comply, then find another that will. Either that, or you support the cost. In previous threads we talked about keeping a supply of sterilised safety shoes or at least socks which would suit the need. I am currently working at a site which requires everyone in the production areas to wear safety shoes. - workers - contractors - visitors. No exceptions or excuses. As you arrive your host provides you with sterilised shoes. If you ain't wearing them then the workers raise hell. "Why us and not you ?" and they are right. Merv Newman
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 September 2003 01:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alistair Reid I visit a number of sites daily and regularly come across agency temps wainting in reception for PPE or being sent home for not bringing it with them. Their employer, the agency, is responsible for providing them with the necessary PPE however the end user, being the 'owner' of the hazard is the only body in a position to specify the type of PPE required and then enforce its use. The requirements for PPE and the necessary 'information, instruction and training' for its correct use should be part of your agreement with any agencies you use as should the procedures for non compliance.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 September 2003 07:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Like some others, we make it a condition of employment through the agency that temporary workers appear with safety shoes. However, notwithstanding that, I am shortly to be purchasing a range of cheap safety shoes to keep on the shelf so that contractors who do turn up without them can purchase them from me upon arrival. We don't have quite so many contractors turning up at our place as the thread has but generally we have one or two a fortnight, 90% of them arrive with shoes, the odd one doesn't but when they are given the choice of purchasing shoes or going home they normally decide to purchase. Hilary
Admin  
#8 Posted : 23 September 2003 08:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Hilary Possibly on a sticky wicket with that one. PPE should be issued free of charge. It's your rule that says they must have it, not the agency. Who does Temp claim the rebate from? Geoff
Admin  
#9 Posted : 23 September 2003 08:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JamesK There is an onus on the employer to secure the safety of ANYONE working under their control. I recently worked for a company that had numerous temp workers and all safety eqiupment had to be provided FREE of chargs, including shoes. Prevoius comments are correct in saying that you could ask for the agency to ensure that any persons they forward to you bring safety shoes but if they dont bring them then the company HAS to provide them ( Or send them home) There is no easy or cheap way out. You could inform the agency that you will no longer avail of their services if they do not ensure that any people they send comply with your request.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 23 September 2003 09:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Yesterday I put the following into a different thread - having seen this one recur I realise I should have put it here instead, so here goes: I read with interest an article in Risks, one of two safety e-zines sent out free by the TUC, about an ex-railway labourer who at 35 is claimed to be the youngest person to have contracted asbestos cancer mesothelioma in an occupational setting. The reason it caught my attention was that he intends to sue his employer - not the railway, but an employment agency (unfortunately he cannot recall the name and he is needing help, hence the article). This chap is severely ill - he has already lost one lung and the prognosis is poor. I am not debating the rights or wrongs of the case, but I thought it fitted in neatly with this thread, where the legal responsibility is being recognised as the employment agency, not the controller of the place of work. Food for thought for agencies who mistakenly believe they can abrogate their legal responsibilities and muddy the waters as to who is the actual employer.