Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2003 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rakesh Maharaj
Dear All

I vaguely recall and since disposed of an article (source and writer are vague as well)showing a clear relationship between good health and safety practice and improved staff performance - supported by good stats - and of course I need it now!

If any of you recall this article, or have access to or aware of a similar one, would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 September 2003 16:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Rakesh,

I subscribe to the online TUC safety bulletins "Hazard" and "Risk", both of which had articles regarding this point, while obviously claiming that union involvement can also help make workplaces safer.

Try the following links:

http://www.tuc.org.uk/h_and_s/tuc-4168-f0.cfm

and

http://www.hse.gov.uk/re...sl_pdf/2001/employ-i.pdf

with the latter being a research report by the HSE entitled "Employee involvement in health and safety - some examples of good practice".

The latest copy of "Risk" mentions the Association of British Insurers initiative to recognise good safety management systems as a means of reducing Employers Liability insurance for good workplaces (the flip side being that those who don't apply for the discount will probably face higher premiums as a consequence). The link to the current issue is:

http://www.tuc.org.uk/h_and_s/tuc-7074-f0.cfm

I am not a member of a union, but I believe they do good work in the field of health and safety and I have received some pertinent information via my subscription.

Hope it helps.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 September 2003 20:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rakesh Maharaj
Sean,

Many thanks for this, I have found these documents quite useful for a number of applications.

To be effective at Board Level, using figures that usually do not have a minus sign preceding them, tend to get those holding the purse strings interested!

Proving to Boards of Directors that good H&S practices will SAVE them money, as well as MAKE them money seems to be the primary weapons that those of us 'fighting the good fight' need!

I have largely, thanks to you Sean, good info demonstrating the art of saving money! I still seek data that demonstrates how productivity increases in an atmosphere of good H&S practice, attitude and behaviour...