Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2003 17:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter MacDonald I regularly hear people mention the case of an old women successfully suing McDonalds after scalding herself in her own car when holding a cup of coffee between her legs when driving. It's commonly mentioned when discussing the percived "claims culture" in every day life. Can anyone direct me to or supply me with the details of this case. Or is it a myth. Regards Peter
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 September 2003 17:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter peter Search the web for "Stella Liebeck" and I am sure you will find more than enough information. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 September 2003 21:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards The 'facts' as you have them in the posting are mythical as I have the court transcript. However there are other scalding tales around this area of litigation also.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 September 2003 09:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen It's interesting to follow up on this one. Like many others I thought the facts were as stated in the original posting. The correct details make much more interesting radings and should be compulsary for all safety practitioners as should the fact that all the so called "Stellas" are fabrications. The facts are that - most people who are injured don't sue - if they do it is often difficult for them to prove their case - even if succesful the amount they receive will rarely compensate them fully for their losses - for every perverse judgement is favour of the claimant there are ten claims that fail
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 September 2003 10:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Not bad odds though at 10 to 1! Might be worth a flutter.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 18 September 2003 12:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I too have just tracked down "the truth" behind this myth. To be honest I'm a little disappionted as the myth was a good story about "jonny foreigner". Don't tell me the Winnebago story is a lie as well!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 September 2003 14:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Just read some of the notes about this and am amazed at the extent of chinese whispers I have encountered in the past. I.e. It was by not having hot on the cup that lost them the case. I feel much better now that i have a better picture of the rumour.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 18 September 2003 15:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith You may joke about the litigation culture over in the States, but I now know of one company over here that will no longer employ students or apprentices because of the risk of claims occurring.