Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2003 08:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JamesK I have a problem that is not easy to fix and I imagine it would concern a lot of us in the profession of health & safety. Whereby I have only one "master" ( the owner of the company) I also have others that have management control over sites. When a contractor does not have, or will not supply within a reasonable time period, details for his employees such as safe pass or CSCS details, I have on one hand management telling me to remove them from site and then I have the owner telling me the job has to get done but keep chasing them for the details. There is no easy fix here but I was wondering if many other people have this problem and how do you protect your status within the compay with everyone. Your thoughts please. Jim
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2003 09:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Jim, I'm not totally clear on why you have an employer and also other "owners" - I am presuming these are clients who own premises your subbies are working in. It isn't that important in relation to my answer though. I would approach this from a contractual law direction, influenced by statute law. From what you've said, your management interprets it's duty of care obligations regarding ensuring safety of others not in it's employ to extend to their sub-contractors - quite rightly. As a consequence, you require the subbies to demonstrate they have an effective SMS to operate on your behalf, with standardised methods such as the CSIS being acceptable. According to your management, it is important that this be demonstrated before the work starts. Knowing the construction industry, a major project can involve literally dozens of subbies - if not more - ranging from established firms down to self-employed jobbers. To gather all of this info must be a frustrating experience, but there is a simple approach that you could consider. Make it a contractual obligation with fiscal penalties for non-compliance. For larger organisations, you could operate a 2nd party audit programme which would allow for automatic acceptance via the approved supplier records, where one audit is valid for three years and can be used as evidence of an effective SMS for any job offered during that time. For smaller outfits, ensure that you send a questionnaire in good time before the start, with the incentive that once logged it will allow automatic acceptance for a period of say 18 months. For one-offs, a failure to provide the information prior to work being undertaken will have a percentage penalty taken off the invoice payments, with an increasing penalty as time goes on without compliance. A complete failure would result in a maximum penalty of say 20% off the total invoice payments. Complicated, but it will hit them where it hurts - in the wallet. And we all know that construction is competetive business with low margins. The aim should be to reduce your mutual paperwork burdens, make sub-contractor selection and use easier and re-inforce the poitnt that this IS important and not just a fad that will eventually fade away if they can just ignore it long enough. Good luck!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2003 12:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson You need a formal procedure agreed with your master that takes the decision out of your hands. The contract should tie people to the same terms. This is a good answer for many problems a safety adviser faces - formalise what you want to happen, so no-one can question your actions.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 September 2003 13:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JamesK My apologies for not making it clearer. I suppose I have my boss wanting to get the job done..telling me to ensure a safe approach but not allowing me to take action IE removal from site or safety at always but at no large expense. I seem to be getting caught in the middle. I know its all part of the process but I was just after peoples experience on this to see the various approachs.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 September 2003 13:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser James, I completely sympathise with your situation. Is this perhaps an example of where the management want a safe environment produced by a wave of the OSH fairy's wand, while not paying for it or inconveniencing the job in the process? Perhaps they believe that one person makes a safety work and the rest can ignore it? It comes down to priority - get the job done at all costs, or get it done safely? They don't have to be mutually exclusive. After all, there is an old saying - more haste, less speed. You need to ensure the support of your management - actions speak louder than words, but you need the words to justify/support the actions. If they aren't willing to uphold their own policies and procedures at the sharp end, you are in an impossible position and you need to address it accordingly - are you in a position to influence change, or should you be considering bailing out before it all goes horribly wrong? Remember, the obligation is on the employer to make the system work - nice words do not make a safe culture, it has to be developed through experience. As safety professionals we can only advise, influence and organise - we cannot do this if the employer is unwilling to accept our input or take effective action against non-compliance. Only they can create the conditions for a safe culture in their organisation. It cannot be imposed, and crucially it cannot grow itself. As was mentioned, if it is all documented and you are prevented from taking the required actions, record it. It might (unfortunately) be required later. Let's hope things can change for the better for you before then.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 September 2003 08:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Sorry to ressurect this one again as it was slipping off the radar screen (as our American cousins are wont to say) but I read with interest an article in Risks, one of two safety e-zines sent out free by the TUC, about an ex-railway labourer who at 35 is claimed to be the youngest person to have contracted asbestos cancer mesothelioma in an occupational setting. The reason it caught my attention was that he intends to sue his employer - not the railway, but an employment agency (unfortunately he cannot recall the name and he is needing help, hence the article). This chap is severely ill - he has already lost one lung and the prognosis is poor. I am not debating the rights or wrongs of the case, but I thought it fitted in neatly with this thread, where the legal responsibility is being recognised as the employment agency, not the controller of the place of work. Food for thought for agencies who mistakenly believe they can abrogate their legal responsibilities and muddy the waters as to who is the actual employer.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 22 September 2003 16:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Des Daly James, I too have the same experiences as you working in a construction environment. I find my employers sometimes completely ignoring my advice. On one memorable occasion I was hauled off to the HSE by the boss who wanted it from the horses mouth that risk assessments are a legal requirement. It occurred to me then that the safety culture of the construction industry generally is so underdeveloped that much of what I was saying probably did sound 'over the top' ( popular expression used by one of the owners to describe by advice on destroying safety harnesses and landyards that are clearly not fit to use). Since then I have realised that I am in the uneviable position of being ' buggered If I say something and buggered if I don't' - this applies to many of the health and safety people I meet in the industry. So then back to the question of keeping a job. Well in the end it all down to acquiring the diplomacy skills of a Foreign Secretary,the foresight of a palm reader, the skin of a rhinoceros, the patience of a saint and the ethos of the Mafia 'not to get mad - but to get even'- after that it's easy.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 23 September 2003 15:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen Ashton Jim I'm surprised no one else has referred you to the IOSH code of professional conduct which is quite clear that 'members owe a primary loyalty to the workpeople and the community they serve' (clause 1 of the code) and 'members called upon to give an opinion in their professional capacity shall be honest and, to the best of their ability, objective and reliable' (clause 3)and 'members having good reason to believe their professional advice is not followed shall take reasonable steps to ensure the persons overruling or neglecting their advice are made aware of potential adverse consequences which may result. These steps may be in writing.' (clause 7) In other words, occasionally you will need to bite the bullet, and recognise that you are in the business of protecting people - this is not always the same as protecting the employer. You need to maintain your standards even in the face of opposition, and occasionally may need to tell your employer some home truths... This does not always have to mean having a blazing row, but it can, and does happen! After which, you may well be looking for another job rather than 'keeping a job' (which is what you chose to call this thread) but at least you will know that you're in the right!!!!! During my NEBOSH course, many many moons ago, this was referred to as 'cosmopolitan' management as opposed to 'local' management. i.e. stick to the professional (ethical) approach at the expense of the company or become a Company 'yes man' and sacrifice some measure of ethical behaviour in favour of job security. The choice is yours, but make sure for your own sake that your conscience is clear... Or, as another trainer put it: If you can't change the Company you work for, change the Company you work for..... Good luck, if you find the right answer, please let us all know... Steve