Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2003 14:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods Should the final exit door of an escape route always open outwards? Is this covered by H&S legislation or building regs? Thanks in advance. Bob Woods
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2003 16:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Battye Building regulations Approved Document B suggests that a room (or building) capable of an occupancy of more than 50 should open outwards
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2003 16:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson The Building Regs (Approved Document B, section 6.14) say this: "The door of any doorway or exit should, if reasonably practicable, be hung to open in the direction of escape, and should always do so if the number of persons that might be expected to use the door at the time of a fire is more than 60. Note: With respect to industrial activities where there is a very high fire risk with potential for rapid fire growth, there will be a requirement for the door to open in the direction of escape for lower numbers than 60." If you run a high-street shop for example you want the front door to open inwards so you don't bash passers-by by opening the door!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 September 2003 16:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson I must type faster! I keep posting a reply at the same time as someone else. John - is my copy of Approved Doc B out of date? It says 60 people.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 September 2003 08:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Battye apologies for incorrect info. Youre quite correct it is 60 - This changed in 1999. As a building control surveyor, I should know this. 50 seems memorable, 60 I believe is based on the size of two school classes in one room (30 per class)
Admin  
#6 Posted : 18 September 2003 10:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor It's worth noting the reasonably practicable bit on this one as, whilst the outward opening principle is well applied to internal doors on escape routes, there is sometimes a conflict with security interests with final exit doors (particularly normal entrance doors) and Building Control Officers and Fire Authorities tend to take this into account.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 September 2003 12:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson John - 60 is roughly one class nowadays isn't it?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 18 September 2003 14:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Battye whatch it! I'm still a Blairite at heart
Admin  
#9 Posted : 18 September 2003 14:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Battye Ken The word "reasonably practicable" rarely appears in the Building Regulations. The word used is "appropriate" If security is an issue then I would draw your attention to caluse 6.12 of Approved Document B We would rarely accept locking or security devices on a door unless the building is appropriately managed (e.g single proprieter premises or large leisure buildings that have good 24 hour management, stewarding & licenced by the fire authority)
Admin  
#10 Posted : 18 September 2003 17:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert King Just a minor add on to the discussion I believe that the door can also be double action (opens both ways)at final exit.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 23 September 2003 09:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor You are correct in saying that 'reasonably practicable' is rarely used in the Building Regulations, John, but this is one of those rare occasions. Please see 6.14 of Approved Document B1 (2000 edition) where it states 'The door of any doorway or exit should, if reasonably practicable, be hung to open in the direction of escape, and should always do so if the number of persons that might be expected to use the door at the time of a fire is more than 60'.