Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 September 2003 19:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt This subject is taxing me greatly. Staff working voluntarily from home. The employer has to provide safe systems of work and currently my feeling is that a self assessment by the home worker is sufficient - backed up by some training at the employer's premises on workstations eg posture, correct equipment etc. But say, following the assessment by the homeworker, it is recognised that the work space is insufficient, or the electrical supply is inadequate, or there are torn carpets and so on - then where do we go from there? Geoff
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 September 2003 20:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft Geoff We use a self assessment form for this, but I have to admit that we haven't clearly sorted out yet what we would do in any of your given circumstances. My thoughts would be to not allow them to work from home, but I don't know if this would be supportable. I'll watch the responses to this with intersest. Ian
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 September 2003 21:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murphy Geoff IND(G)226 (home working) Availalble from HSE books in pdf format (http://www.hsebooks.co.uk/index2.html) answers most of your questions on this. Regards John
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 September 2003 22:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt John - I actually had the leaflet on my desk and for some reason just glanced through it and missed a couple of major points. You're right, it clearly states the electrical supply is the responsibility of the homeworker. Also that the employer is responsible for any VDU equipment supplied (note the word 'supplied') being safe. So the employer supplies, say, a computer & VDU and is responsible for its safety. My interpretation then is if the employee supplies their own desk and chair they are responsible for it as long as they have sufficient training to make adjustments as required and to adopt a good posture. This would also include carpets, and the general environment etc. There are still some remaining problems though. Take space as an example. If an employee wants to work from home (rather than being forced to) they are going to say there is plenty of space - even if they are working in the cramped corner of a bedroom or in the attic. If we know this could happen are we duty bound to visit each homeworkers house - even though they might live in Cornwall and the office is in Manchester? Is that practical or can we accept their self assessment? To add a little more - the intention, in addition to some DSE training, is to run through with them how to carry out regular visual safety checks on the equipment, and provide a checklist for them to regularly monitor their workstation and work area. Geoff