Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 September 2003 09:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hilditch The new duty to manage the risk of absestos (surveying) kicks in soon. Although we have undertaken a basic survey(Type 1) most of our clients are not touching it and leaving it until May next year. Surely we will run short of asbestos surveyors once this happens. Thanks in advance Martyn
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 September 2003 12:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Martyn Many clients are recognising this and attempting to get in early. Hence lots of ads in the Official Journal of the EU. This means that the shortage of qualified asbestos surveyors and analysts is already with us. Regards, Peter
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 September 2003 13:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Unfortunately there are alot of organisations that are dealing with asbestos reactively. I really hope we don't have alot of "would be competent surveyors" turning up on people's doorsteps when it comes to crunch time!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 September 2003 13:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gerry Marchant If you are requesting an individual or organisation to conduct an asbestos survey ensure first that they have adequate PI insurance and that they are UKAS accredited or undergoing this process. This should elimiate the ones that think they are competent.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 September 2003 15:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Checking also of any compannies recommendations to asbestos removal organisations!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 24 September 2003 11:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West The deadline for the duty is 21st May 2004. I think you will agree it is not that far away. Companies should be looking for a Type 2 survey of their properties and risk assessment of the Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs) undertaken by competent Asbestos Surveyors. Competancy can be measured by qualification in this respect. BIOH (British Institute of Occupational Hygienists) have a course entitled 'P402' and it is designed to train would be surveyors in the art of asbestos surveying and risk assessment (based largely on MDHS 100). The company I am employed with carry out Asbestos Surveys for a number of private and public sector clients. All surveyors have, as a minimum qualification the P402, together with several years experience, The management staff (me included) have the (regarded as a higher qualification) BIOH S301 certificate. My company is urging duty holders to be pro active and act now rather than be caught in the rush in the 11th hour with all that entails. Should you wish to have further information on this subject please do not hesitate to contact me. I haven't given my companies details in this response as I realise this is not the forum to advertise services etc. Kev
Admin  
#7 Posted : 24 September 2003 12:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall There is a little mis-conception that because an Asbestos Surveyor holds a basic P402 or the more advanced S301, that they are competent asbestos surveyors. In my opinion, both courses should serve to compliment a relevant Diploma (Nebosh Dips 1 and 2 or NTU),or a relevant degree or City and Guilds route. Surveyors can still slip off ladders, wander into confined spaces etc and in alot of circumstances that I have come across - work independentely! Anything to reduce the cost and get the business from the client. The point I make is that any surveying work, or UKAS accredited air monitoring should be led by a person deemed a little more competant than the person holding the S301 qualification. And be accessible on the site being surveyed. There are too many organisations jumping on the surveying bandwagon.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 24 September 2003 12:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West I agree entirely. A P402 does not make an Asbestos Surveyor. It does however demonstrate that he/she has been made aware of the minimum criteria both of asbestos location etc and of how to undertake the survey correctly and safely. The company I work for also undertake health and safety consultancy work and provides advice on a wide range of health and safety issues. Staff have completed a number of health and safety qualifications including the Nebosh Gen Cert and NVQs etc. Some are members of IOSH (MIOSH). ALL surveyors have a number of years of experience. You are correct to be suspicious of companies 'jumping on the bandwagon' to make a 'fast buck'. Investigation into the company is only to be advised. Kev
Admin  
#9 Posted : 29 September 2003 12:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tyler News on the new duty to manage can be found on the HSE's website... HSE INVITES DUTYHOLDERS TO HELP WITH DUTY TO MANAGE ASBESTOS REVIEW http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2003/e03181.htm Additionally, The duty to manage campaign website at: http://www.hse.gov.uk/campaigns/asbestos provides more detail on all aspects of the duty and its supporting campaign. Hope this is useful. Tyler