Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 September 2003 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett I've been asked if I know of any company supplying hi-vis or reflective products that are funky enough to be supplied to secondary age students. They are, I'm told, reluctant to use the little reflective teddybears that are around, and they flatly refuse to have broad bands of hi-vis tape on their backpacks. I've had a look on the RoSPA site but couldn't find anything, so all suggestions will be gratefully received. At least this query is an improvement on the days of my youth when the only concession to road safety was a ban on black tights - the headmistress claimed that the "white socks only" rule was so motorists could see us in the dark!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 September 2003 13:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze Zoe, Have you tried any cyclist suppliers or reputable outdoor clothing companies? Many of these coats & bags are branded, bright coloured and have reflective trim. Disadvantages are that they will not be cheap and may not be considered appropriate. Of course I do not claim tobe able to predict what might be considered 'cool' or 'funky' by a secondary age student. Re: 'white socks only rule', I bet it made the drivers look, although whether it increased road safety is debatable. When I went to school the fasion was to have a navy/ black padded parka (reducing wearer visibility) with a tunnel shaped hood (limiting peripheral vision & hearing) and a faux fur trim around the hood (further reducing visibility). It's a wonder so many of us survived!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 September 2003 13:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt My school (boys only) had that same ban on black tights - thanks Zoe, I've only just realised why!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 September 2003 18:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Crossland-Clarke If you get really stuck you could always buy the tape or reflective stickers in sheets,(bulk - so cheaper) then take it to a commercial printers, they have equipment that will link up to a PC so a shape can be designed and cut up in any style you want. I suppose you could get stuff like, word bubbles, names of rap stars etc cut out, then. Linda
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 September 2003 20:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Zoe, Hello again. I think you might be able to find a supplier who can stamp the university coat of arms or name out of reflective material. Students have a certain pride in the fact that the belong to a university. WEAR IT WITH PRIDE Otherwise they risk being as valuable as hedgehogs. Merv Newman