Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 September 2003 09:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Any thoughts on additional training for certificated proficient tractor operators when add-on front forks are subsequently purchased for use with pallets, bales, etc in groundwork?. Some of the flt stuff will be relevant but an flt course seems OTT in this case.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 September 2003 11:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Huckle Ken If your drivers are certificated as proficient tractor drivers (National Proficiency Test Council or what ever it is called now)part of this training should have included the use of tractor mounted loaders (if my memory serves me right). So they should be competent to use the loader and any attachemnts. However, if we need somenone trained for a specific piece of non standard equipment, we discuss our requirements with the training provider and ask them to design the course to cover our specific requirement, most of them are only to happy to modify their course to get the business. Chris
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2003 10:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Your right , Chris. They refer to ad-on buckets, forks, etc - but without the actual kit at the time so no actual practical content was included. Having now obtained the forks some time later, it seems prudent to provide some refreshing on the theory and, at least, some observed practical sessions befor releasing them on the community - and hence my enquiry.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 September 2003 19:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick Ken Under the Supply Regs the forks should come supplied with H&S information which explains the limitations and uses of the forks. The other point is that someone should do an assessment on the use of these forks and decide what they should and should not be used for. regards Steve
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 September 2003 23:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alistair Reid As a diversion to the main thread you should also consider the another implication of adding the forks to a tractor - the machine now becomes a LOLER item and requires a SWL and Statutory Examination in addition to PUWER requirements
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 September 2003 18:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Thanks for the reminders, Steve and Alistair, I had told the Grounds Manager to ensure that the instructions are followed and that the SWLs should be displayed and made known - it's just the extra training bit that has got me thinking. It may come down to taking relevant parts out of flt course notes unless someone knows otherwise.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 01 October 2003 09:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor By way of a post script on this one, I can report that we have now arranged for a national tractor proficiency training company to hold a one-day refresher course with emphasis on the use of forks and buckets.