Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2003 11:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicola Henderson I am Risk Management/Health and Safety Training Consultant and have recently come across some information which indicates that in order to train delegates in Manual Handling the trainer requires to hold a licence. Is this the case? I would appreciate your views on this matter. Thanks in advance, Nicola
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 September 2003 11:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Could you point us in the direction of this information?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 September 2003 11:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson What a load of TOSH!!! No such requirement and don't belive them!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 September 2003 12:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicola Henderson Geoff, The information was advertised in a training companies course directory. I called them to confirm this was essential, as I had been providing Manual Handling training without a licence and was unaware that a licence was required. The company confirmed that it was required and the licence lasted for a period of two years. Nobody else I have spoken to has been able to confirm this is this case. Regards, Nicola.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2003 12:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt If you pass me their details by email I'll be happy to approach them to find out where they got this requirement from. Geoff
Admin  
#6 Posted : 25 September 2003 14:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Maguire It may well have been a RoSPA advertisement as they issue a manual handling instrucors certificate which they state is valid for 2 years. They state that you are required to undergoe refresher training if you want to continue to use the instruction materials provided and advertise yourself as "RoSPA trained". Unless someone re invents the base movement or there are significant changes in the Manual Handling Regs i cannot see what the benefit of refresher training every 2 years is, apart from lining the pockets of RoSPA.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 25 September 2003 19:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Would I Be right or wrong in stating that as long as you have a neccessary safety qualification and teaching skills (ensuring delegates have digested the aims and objectives etc), backed up by insurance and the paperwork that may be called upon at a later date. Anyone can do manual Handling training. The only problem comes from insureres who may insist on HSE approved courses. If right, what would be the qualification needed. And how would one get HSE approved? All these in-betweens seem to be a scam to fleece money out of people. I understand that some certification bodies may have standards & criteria to be met before they allow a person to deliver their courses. Good on them as they dont want coplete amatures and scaremongers roaming the consultancy world.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 26 September 2003 08:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JamesK Speaking of Manual handling and trainers etc. I have come across a manual handling instructor that gives this training outside his place of work. He is a safety officer/advisor full time. I was wondering if there were any imlpications to an instructor giving this training to someone outside his place of works? Jim
Admin  
#9 Posted : 28 September 2003 19:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick Jim His employer may have a lot to say about him "moonlighting". He should clear it with his employer Steve
Admin  
#10 Posted : 30 September 2003 10:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Dear Nicola, When I was asked by a previous employer to provide Manual Handling training to our staff I checked with the HSE about how they would imterpret "competence" to give this type of training in the light of the new (then) MHO regs. I spoke with a principal inspector and an EMAS representative and both, separately, indicated that before going ahead with this training I too should attend some kind of recognised course of training. When I pushed further, the course that seemed to be most highly thought of is the Manual Handling Instructor and Assesssors course run by RoSPA. I attended this course and a subsequent refresher. The course was excellent, the refresher was very useful as it introduced small variations introduced from records and trends and acted as a check that you yourself were not picking up bad practice due to complacency or for other reasons. When I had to answer insurance investigators or attend tribunals the fact that I could say I was A RoSPA registered manual handling instructor I found helpful to me. Also, when I faced the inevitable question in training - who are you to come and tell us how to lift etc it was useful to be able to show the doubting Thomas evidence of external recognition for me being there . My registration is lapsed at the moment - but my present employer asked me yesterday if I could give manual handling training. I answered -Yes - but not until I had attended the RoSPA course and been re-registered. It helps demonstrate competence - how else will you be able to demonstrate competence. Are you trained in an appropriate medical field, physiotherapy, sports medicine or ????? Also, the courses I was at the other delgates came from diverse industry backgrounds and being able to look at the limitations of the base movement in different settings is a very useful exercise - mines & quarries, paint factory, goods delivery, emergency services and so on - enlightening. Benedict