Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2003 16:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Could anyone suggest a reading list regarding positive thinking? If it was specifically safety related it would be useful for drawing known examples but general reading would be appreciated as well. I've made the same request on the study support forum to cover as many possible respondents as I can!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 September 2003 16:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Maguire Try HSG 48 "Reducing Error and Influencing Behaviour"
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 October 2003 11:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen Ashton sean for 'positive thinking' get hold of a copy of the 'feeling good handbook' by David Burns. If you can get past the sickeningly white-toothed american grin on the front cover, and avoid gnashing your own teeth at one or two americanised platitudes, the book actually contains a number of very sound exercises. In the past these have enabled me at least to cope with some very stressful situations. I have recently dug out my copy of the book and started practising some of the exercises again - to cope with a close family bereavement. Nothing whatsoever to do with 'behavioural safety', but may be of use? Steve
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 October 2003 11:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Once upon a time - way back before H&S was even part of my agenda, I did an A level in Sociology - this has been an invaluable tool in understanding behavioural safety. I don't recommend that you rush out and take an A level, of course not, but do recommend that you perhaps look at some of the studies conducted by persons such as Young and Willmott, Pavlov, Labov, etc and this should give you a good insight into why people behave in the way they do. Once you begin to understand this, then behavioural safety becomes considerably easier to deal with. Hilary
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 October 2003 09:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram I recently heard a very interesting presentation from a New Zealand psychologist in this area. He has done lots of work on sleeping and how 'positive thinking' can help ensure good sleep via effects on the unconscious. However he has applied the same process to behavioual safety issues, and puts forward a persuasive case that thinking "I'm not going to have an accident" can actually increase the likelihood of one happening! His website is www.sleepwell.co.nz - you have to download some free software for it to be most effective.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 October 2003 10:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Ian We were probaly at the same thing - if Step Change in Safety means anything to you!! That is where my interest was rekindled. It was an excellent presentation and certainly caused me to rethink how I phrase my written and verbal communication. What I was looking for was background material to support a move towards introducing a SOS at my organisation here in Aberdeen. Everyone else, Many thanks for the responses both public and private. I have some excellent references to follow up on now (but don't let that stop any one else from adding more suggestions!).