Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2003 17:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Hogarth
With European week for Health and Safety looming I have been having a purge on the storage of hazardous substances (Mainly cleaning materials, but also some lab chemicals - acids and alkalines)

Where can I find definitive guidance on the correct storage of such substances and what labelling should be on the outer container.

I have obviously not scoured the COSHH Regs enough cos I can'nt find the answer!

Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 September 2003 18:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson
This is a bigger question than you might realise. Download the HSE Books catalogue here http://www.hse.gov.uk/so...es/content/summer02.pdf. Look under chemicals and flammable substances and you'll see how much there is on this.

For storage, HSG71 and HSG51 spring to mind, but also check the free leaflets. For labelling, best to understand the CHIP system. Look for the free HSE leaflets here http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/chindex.htm under the heading Packaging, Labelling and Transport.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 September 2003 18:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Malcolm

The MSDS should tell you all you need to know with regard to storage.

If you need to know about labelling, it is CHIPS you should be looking at not COSHH but, in any case, again the MSDS should be your first port of call.

Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 September 2003 19:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lesley McDonald
You should definatley have information from your Hazard Data Sheets (MSDS) . They can be requested from your manufacturer/supplier if any are missing.
Legally you shold have them anyway incase one of your employees has an accident an first aid info etc is needed
Admin  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2003 19:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lesley McDonald
You should definatley have information from your Hazard Data Sheets (MSDS) . They can be requested from your manufacturer/supplier if any are missing.
Legally you shold have them anyway incase one of your employees has an accident and first aid info etc is needed
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 September 2003 08:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Hogarth
Many thanks for the replies so far, I have been through the MSDS route, indeed I have got hundreds of MSDS's and risk assessments to accompany them. However all the MSDS tells me is to keep x product away from acids for example. What I am looking for are the guidelines - Regulations that specify the requirements in more detail.

Keep the replies coming.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 26 September 2003 09:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Malcolm

What sort of detail are you looking for?

Paul
Admin  
#8 Posted : 28 September 2003 19:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick
Malcolm

Suppliers of substance storage cabinets advertise frequently in the Practioner, I am sure one or more of your existing suppliers have a range of these to sell to you.
Once you know what is available you should be able to decide on the type of storage that you need.

There are no definitive guides on exactly what you should use.

Steve