Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2003 21:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Cooper Recently our gardening contractor was asked to remove a fallen tree that had obstructed a canal towpath. During the work his assistant was stung by a wasp. Unfortunately he suffered an alergic reaction to the sting and was abscent from work for 5 days. Is this a reportable Accident under RIDDOR Barry
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 September 2003 08:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Barthrope As this was an injury at work I would report this incident as an over 3 day injury. You have nothing to lose In your particular case this may not initialy seem very important, but should the same operative receive another sting and perhaps this time suffer an anaphylatic shock, you may need to be able to prove your records are sound. I used to know a H & S person who was involved in the production of vegetables etc, in large green houses. They used to import bees to assist in the pollonation of the crops. Bee stings was a foreseeable hazard and they used to have management controls in place for this. A number of crop pickers carried syringes of adrenaline for use in such circumstances. It is foreseeable that any of your outside workers may receive future stings, therefore as a minimume your first aiders should be madw aware of the response/action to take.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2003 09:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson Definitely reportable.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 September 2003 19:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Cooper Just to keep you up dated. The contractor rang the local HSE office to enquire whether the incident was reportable, Their reply was " not really reportable, unless you were contracted to move a wasps nest or you disturbed the wasp whilst cutting up the tree, but you can report it if you want" A very definitive answer Barry
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 September 2003 10:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sam Talbot That helpfull response from the HSE is about as much as I would expect. Having used the helpline a few times, I seem to come away with more questions than I went with.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 30 September 2003 19:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson I don't get it. The contractor was at work, and was carrying out his work, and was unfit for normal work for more than 3 days. The only thing is that it was probably the contractor's duty to report, not yours.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 September 2003 21:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Agree with you Neil - this is getting uncanny! Ref the HSE - my strategy now is to insist on speaking to an inspector otherwise they transfer you to the help line manned by people who can read regulations but who have limited or no knowledge of what they mean. I notice they have stopped insisting on knowing the names of the companies involved - so I've stopped telling little white lies.