Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2003 22:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe McNicholas
Dear all,

Can anyone enlighten me as to the legal requirements when a fork lift leaves a company premises and works on a public highway to unload a delivery vehicle.

I am aware that a licence plate is required as well as tax disc and car driving licence for the operator - but when does all the above have to be implemented?

Is there a distance travelled or a frequency rate or similar that has to be taken into account?

Best regards
Joe
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 September 2003 22:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould
Dont Know much depth on this subject apart from what you say.

I Think their is also a warning signs issue that may have to be addressed.

Extra caution if forklift is loading/unloading both sides of the truck.

I know this from past experiance. Having witnessesed a drivers forks severley damaging a moving car whilst getting to other side of truck. Sighnage was non existant.

p.s. I recall the company & driver was prosocuted.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2003 09:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
My understanding is that as soon as you are on a public road you need plates and license.

What I don't know is whether this extends to a requirement for an MoT test every year.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 September 2003 10:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Swift
Have a look at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA) website. There is a lot of information on taxation etc on there. The Road Haulage Association is another good contact.

As I recall, there is a maximum limit to how often/how far before you need to purchase road tax, but I can't remeber exactly what these limits are. Regardless of the tax implications the forklift must be road legal (lights/brakes/tyres etc) and insured before it sets tyre on the public highway.

Hope this helps a bit.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 September 2003 18:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
Joe,

I agree mostly with Paul Swift, except that, in case of an incident, you must be already covered.

In my (sort of humble opinion) the second your FLT touches the road it must be in conformity, roadworthy, license taxed, insured ...

Any other way and you are dead in the water.

Your humblest and most obedient servant

Merv Newman (UY)

Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 September 2003 18:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
You're not ex forces are you Merv?

It should read:

I have the honour to be, sir, your most obedient servant.

Admin  
#7 Posted : 28 September 2003 23:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alistair Reid
The case of Moores Timber Merchants Ltd, of Trafford, Manchester where a passing motorist was fatally injured by the forks of a truck unloading timber from a lorry on a public highway may be worth looking at.
Try www.shp.com and look for "Vindication for family in forklift death case 02/07/2003"