Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 September 2003 00:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Riley I have for some time been trying to find a way to become an assessor for NVQ Level 4 in Health & Safety. It seems however to be achicken & egg situation - you cannot train to be an assessor without having candidates to assess, and finding candidates to assess is difficult without the assessors qualification. I would be grateful for any advice from those of you who've managed to become an assessor on how to break the circle & achieve my goal. Regards Jane
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 September 2003 09:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Jane, I did my D32/D33 whilst assessing VQ's Level 2 (Progression Award in Health and Safety) and I tackled the assessment of Level 3 and 4 NVQ's under the supervision of one of our trained assessors whilst doing this award. I am now an Assessor and assess any portfolios of evidence independently and this is simply Internally Verified and we have six monthly visits by our External Verifier. Unfortunately, you clearly need candidates to complete your official City and Guilds assessor qualification. If you do not have any "health and safety" candidates then ask your employer if the company has people who are currently undertaking City and Guilds qualifications, whether it's in Business Admin or Hairdressing. Don't forget that the Assessor's Award is a City and Guilds qualification and nothing to do with health and safety. I trust that you are qualified in health and safety, by virtue of academic achievement and experience and are a Corporate Member of IOSH anyway. So once you have completed this award you can then start assessing NVQ's in Occupational Health and Safety as your work will still be IV'd. There is no easy way around it. I noticed in the study support forum (I think) that Hazel Harvey had mentioned that NVQ candates may still have their portfolios of evidence checked by IOSH, so it is only right that both City and Guilds and IOSH have set criteria for recognition of professional status, otherwise it makes the City and Guilds route look a farce.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 October 2003 19:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Crossland-Clarke Hiya To assess the level 4 you need either your Dip 2 or a level 4 in H&S. However the candidate you are assessing does not have to actually be a real live H&S nvq candidate, you can use someone from a safety background and assess them to the NVQ standards, in order to complete your portfolio. Hope this helps. PS Where abouts do you live? as I could always lend you a candidate or two! Linda.