Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 October 2003 09:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Hogarth We have had a neighbour complaint to the effect that our factory noise levels are 97 Decibels. I am disputing this as our own readings indicate an average of around 50dB with a peak of 82dB when we had some vehicle movements. I used to have a leaflet that showed a range of levels from something like normal conversation to a jet aircraft at take off. I would like to access this information again but cannot find it. Can anybody help. NB I did find an up to date 'Noise at Work Advice for Employers' free leaflet from HSE but I cannot read the Example dB(A) levels!!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 October 2003 09:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas Malcolm Responded direct. Ken
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 October 2003 10:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Malcolm Did you post your thread in the Careers Forum by mistake? You will probably get a better response if you post in in OSH Chat. Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 October 2003 12:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson You need to get BS 4142 'Rating Industrial noise' etc and get advice from your local Authority EH dept as this sounds like it could get into the realms of 'statutory nuisance' mate.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 October 2003 12:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West David is correct with his reference to BS 4142. Consultancies such as the one I am employed with can undertake such an assessment on behalf of your company to establish whether the nopise constitutes a nuisance or not and can assist in ways to attenuate the noise where applicable. Kev
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 October 2003 08:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Barthrope Kevin, The CITB Construction Site Safety notes document (GE700) has such a list that you are describing. A few extracts from this are listed below. A Quite office 50 dB(A) Private Car 70 dB(A) Very busy traffic 80 dB(A) Heavy vehicle 90 dB(A) Plate fabrication shop 100 dB (A) Hope this helps Regards Alan
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 October 2003 09:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor In my local government days, nuisance noise levels were taken at the facades of complainants' buildings and compared with ambient levels. Those working in E Health may wish to confirm whether this is still the case (ie it's the sound level of the noise that actually reaches you (rather than that which is produced at source) that is taken into account - not to be confused, of course, with duties under noise at work legislation.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 08 October 2003 10:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Malcolm, BS 4142 will give you an indication of the 'likelyhood' of noise complaints from industrial premises, any Noise cosultancy or EHO can undertake this, however Kevin is slightly wrong when he says that he can tell you if you are causing a nuisance, The LA EHO in conjunction with the courts are the people who say that you are causing a nuisance under the EPA. BS4142 tells you if there is a 'possibility' that this could occur and will even 'rate' that possibility, as 'a nuisance to one person may not be a nuisance to another' also there is no defence in law to say 'that this person came to the nuisance'
Admin  
#9 Posted : 08 October 2003 19:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Crossland-Clarke It is important to consider at what distance the noise levels are monitored at, as you could both be right!! You didn't state whether your sound levels are A-weighted or are pressure or power levels (this does make a big difference). Pressure levels have to state the distance from the noise source, whereas power levels do take this into consideration. your options are... a) consult with enviro health dept (however they are more concerned with protecting the noise climate of the area,) they will offer you advice, but may not be acting in your best interests b) seek independant advice from an acoustic consultants, as suggested previously. If you want details of consultants try this link. http://www.association-o....uk/Pages/Site%20Map.htm Linda.