Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 October 2003 09:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charlie Gunter Following a debate with a friend we have a disagreement on the scope of Regulation 4. The point of interest is the term 'Non-domestic premises.' We both agree that common areas of, say, flats would be 'non-domestic.' The question is 'Would flats within the building be non-domestic.' And what about local authority housing stock? At first reading, the answer seems obvious but I would welcome the opinions of others.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 October 2003 10:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By SarahD I work for local government and following discussions with local HSE and other professional bodies it would seem that although flats are domestic, the communal areas are non-domestic and hence would be included, e.g. concierge, caretakers cupboards, lift shafts etc. For our own 'best practice' however we decided to include the 'domestic flats' as well, as they become workplaces for our staff when undertaking maintenace and we also felt we owed a duty of care to the tenants to inform them of locations, so they did not disturb it. Suprisingly (we expected mayhem/panic) the information has been well received, although obviously carefully presented. The other slightly perverse thing is that due to housing revenue income the money to manage all this has been found, but in the other areas, schools, libarys, etc which obviously come within the scope of the regulation arguments are still progressing about who will pay!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 October 2003 17:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen I think that the public areas of flats are usually included as non-domestic premises. Check the definition in the Workplace HS&W Regs and guidance for a pretty comprehensive definition. I'd be surprised if CAWR used a different one.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 October 2003 09:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles New I am not sure the previous comment is entirely correct. Organisations that own and manage rented domestic housing stock will also have to apply the duty to the common parts of the premises. (Refer to HSG227)
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 October 2003 09:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles New Oops I think i misread the previous comment - sorry
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 October 2003 09:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor We are also treating individual flats as 'domestic' but common parts as 'non-domestic'. However, where residential accommodation is associated with workplaces (eg Caretakers' and staff houses within school sites) we have decided to include these within asbestos surveys. We are also including school boarding accommodation and sample flats in sheltered accommodation and almshouses.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 09 October 2003 11:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charlie Gunter Thanks to all who replied. There was no doubt about the common parts of buildings, it was how to treat individual flats that was the main issue. I think Sarah's response was particularly informative.