Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 October 2003 09:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Wright Advice please - If an accident occurs which involving a worker being caught on the ankle by an FLT and the result is a minor injury to the worker and no absence from work is this accident reportable under RIDDOR ????
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 October 2003 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson NO!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 October 2003 11:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee As Dave says its not reportable, unless the I.P is incapacited from his / her normal duties for over 3 days including days off not including the day of the accident.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 October 2003 11:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Peter, Is the injured person able to carry out their normal duties? If not and this continues for more than 3 days then it is reportable. Regards, Paul
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 October 2003 12:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Barr This is one of those where the choice is yours. Do you think it was a dangerous occurance, if yes then you should report it. If no, there is no need if the person was able to continue with his normal duties within 3 days. It all down to you.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 October 2003 13:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Barthrope Forgive me if I am wrong, but I was not aware that nearly being run over was reportable to the HSE under RIDDOR.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 October 2003 13:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Barr Alan, all im suggesting is that Danerous Occurance might well be involved here. Without knowing the full details I could not say.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 13 October 2003 14:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt From what has been said, it does not sound as though the accident needs to be reported under RIDDOR, either as an accident or a dangerous occurrence. You can look at RIDDOR at http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/stat.htm where you will find it in 1995, number 3163. There are schedules that specify exactly what must be reported both under the headings of accident and dangerous occurrence, and it seems extremely unlikely that what you describe qualifies. You will, of course, have your own internal inquiry, to find out what went wrong and prevent it happening again! Jane
Admin  
#9 Posted : 13 October 2003 14:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser For the purposes of incident reporting I would agree that this could come under an internal-use classification system, but the RIDDOR regs are very explicit on what constitutes a "dangerous occurence" and this definitely doesn't qualify. There is no harm in checking with the HSE if you are unsure - unfortunately it seems that from other responses on this forum the nature of the advise you get can often be different depending in where you are located. Even with the Regs and Acts seeming to be very concise, there can still be a variety of interpretations - and that can sometimes be within the enforcing body itself! I would say it doesn't appear to be a RIDDOR incident but if you are in doubt, contact your local HSE office for a definitive answer. If they say no then you don't lodge a report, but if they say yes then you do, but either way you have sought their advice and are covered.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 13 October 2003 16:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Dear All, It seems to me that there are some people who either have not read the RIDDOR Guidance or not understood what they have read. To clarify: Being hit by a fork lift truck is not a 'Dangerous Occurrence' as defined by the regulations. Being incapacitated for normal duties for over 3 days as a result of an injury at work is reportable under RIDDOR. If the person hit by the truck was able to carry out their normal duties within 3 days following the accident (not including the day of the accident) then it is not reportable. Can we put this one to bed now. Regards, Paul Craythorne
Admin  
#11 Posted : 13 October 2003 19:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Crossland-Clarke Oh what potential for an exam question... Linda
Admin  
#12 Posted : 13 October 2003 21:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick You are right about it being a good exam question and while not wanting to create confusion with members of the public and create over reporting we should consider there will be many studying the diploma reading this. It’s my belief that there is a "catch all" in RIDDOR, here is a paragraph that I have cut from RIDDOR "If something happens which does not result in a reportable injury, but which clearly could have done, it may be a dangerous occurrence which must be reported immediately (eg by telephone) to the enforcing authority". Steve
Admin  
#13 Posted : 14 October 2003 08:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Barr Many thanks Steve. That was the point I was trying to get across. It can now be put to bed.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 14 October 2003 09:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Funny things are forklifts. Front end or forks covered by LOLER, Hense any failure would be reportable, and back end covered by PUWER. Personally I would not have reported the incident desribed above, However I suppose you could say that the lifting equipment was in motion, hence the collision was a failure.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 14 October 2003 11:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Paul Do you sometimes think you are banging your head against a brick wall? Are we are a nation obsessed by minutiae? Geoff
Admin  
#16 Posted : 14 October 2003 13:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi No, it not about minute details, but in my view, even in the year 2003, a misperception about the role of HSC/E guidance and ACoPs in a era of non-prescriptive legislation. Not all of us have access to relevant ACoPs & Guidance that accompanies the regulations, but surely for details, that's one of the first authoritative sources to check it out. The RIDDOR guidance is comprehensive. The main problem that usually arises is to decide whether the accident is "arising out of or in connection with work"
Admin  
#17 Posted : 14 October 2003 13:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi Steve, There is no "catch all" as suggested by you. Your information appears to be from the free HSE leaflet, HSE 31,"Riddor explained : Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations" You have omitted the rest of the paragraph that puts it in some context, i.e. the paragraph continues as:- "You will find a summary of the reportable dangerous occurrences on page 7. A full list is included with the pad of report forms and in the guide to the Regulations, or you can simply ring the HSE InfoLine to find out."
Admin  
#18 Posted : 14 October 2003 16:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Sorry about the misunderstanding of my comments posted earlier. My lift arrived to take me to Harrogate (Boring but useful) half way through writing so I just thought I never posted heheheehe. Agree with geoff this could get a little pedantic or whatever the word is that suits it. So if their are any exam takers or worried employers out there ignore me as I was being provocative and stirring. Hehehehehe. Someone could help me here by their experiance. If a crane/lift or forklift cable should fail/snap etc. That would be reportable. If a crane load should swing into someone and not cause injury that would not be reportable. If a crane load should swing into someone and cause injury over 3 day etc we are back into reporting. Im going to have to dig out riddor and sort my head out. Maybe its not lifting equipment that is a dangerous occurance under the regs. I can hear the Grrrr from Geoff now. Hehehehehehehe
Admin  
#19 Posted : 14 October 2003 20:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick Jason as you look through RIDDOR please check for that "catch all" regards Steve