Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 October 2003 11:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Helen Hi, I have been asked to put some information together about the health effects of using projectors. I know the obvious hazards of eye damage etc, but cannot find any particular legislation / guidance to which it refers. does anybody know how long people can (if at all) safely look directly at a projector? And also any other health issues i should know about? thank you all in advance.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 October 2003 12:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gerry Mcaleney Hi , What i have done, especially with, and i think you mean powerpoint presentation projectors as opposed to slide or overhead projectors, is do a Portable Appliance Test (PAT). Also after use to allow the unit to cool down before removing it to it's carry case etc as these units give off a lot of heat and this is what i have advised the users of these units . As for how long can you look at the presentation , it may depend on the type of application that is being used and lighting etc.. Has anyone not watched a 90 minute + epic at the cinema at some point, with out moving or taking a break ,so a visual display unit risk assessment may be required ? ....Hope this helps..Gerry
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 October 2003 13:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Helen Yes, it kind of helps, but the projectors are mounted on poles on the ceiling, and therefore temperature / heat hazards are not really a concern as they are stationary. Sorry if i did not make myself clearer the first time, but, it is the hazards of directly looking into the projector, and not at the projected image, which i am trying to investigate. for example, when carrying out training, the image is projected from the projector onto a screen. if the teacher walks backwards and forwards in front of the projection image, could the image imprint on the eyes, and what damage would this do?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 October 2003 13:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston I'm no expert, but these are not high powered lasers or very high intensity lights. What is the output from the bulb... 100w ... 200w ? Surely the risk of injury is very low as the natural reflex of the eye is to look away from very bright lights. IMHO this risk is trivial and your risk assessment can stop there. If you document this risk, then you will have a pile of risk assessments that cannot be communicated effectively to the employee, and consequently the real danagers get hidden umongst the trivia. Shane.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 October 2003 15:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Helen Some of the abstracts posted on the NRPB website allude to a hazard from prolonged ocular exposure to intense blue light. As someone else has said, the normal aversion reflex should protect those at risk in your organisation but perhaps you should call NRPB on 01235 831600 to find out more. Paul