Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 October 2003 07:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Larry Meager I need some advice on the management (and the effect) of reflected light and heat when installing a steel roof. Does any one know of guidance notes, case studies, standards etc. In anticipation Thanks for your help. Larry Meager Melbourne Aust.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 October 2003 09:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Larry I don't know about Australia but there is no legislation dealing with UV per se in the UK but, of course, a risk assessment must be made. UV can be a hazard by reflection depending on the intensity of the source, the nature of the surface involved (specular or diffuse reflection) and the distances involved. You should shield the UV source to contain the radiation. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 October 2003 10:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze Uh, Paul, in this case the source is the sun, what do you suggest... a giant satellite perhaps? Seriously, Paul has a point though. You could try covering the reflective roof with a tarpaulin or similar although make sure you don't add other hazards in the process (trip hazards or covered fragile areas spring to mind). Alternatively you could consider providing staff with sunglasses, a T-shirt & sun cream (PPE) to minimise exposure to solar radiation although you will become responsible for making sure staff wear the kit provided (of course if you don't provide the required PPE for the job you're probably breaking the law anyway). Whatever you choose, it should be informed by your risk assessment. There is a document available in the UK called Health & Safety in Roof Work (HSG 33) which may be available on the net, but I can't help you with Australian law.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 October 2003 13:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Sorry, Larry I will engage my brain before I post another response on the site; I misunderstood the question. Paul
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 October 2003 14:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze The more astute of you will have realised the assumption was equally on my part. At no point does Larry actually state what the source of UV radiation is. Paul has assumed it is from e.g. welding, I have assumed it is from sun exposure. Apologies one and all.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 October 2003 15:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Larry Have you tried www.sia.org.au ? On the assumption that the sun MAY be involved in your problem you're more likely to get an informed answer from those residing in a country that gets more than its fair share of this natural resource. Not that the previous respondents have given you any bum info........oh hell!, I'll lay down ma shovel and climb out of ma hole!! :0)
Admin  
#7 Posted : 14 October 2003 21:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick I would guess there should be some good industry guidance on this. Even in our British summer it would be far too hot to work on a steel clad roof for long. I have just been watching construction workers opposite my hotel in Portugal, in the heat of the day they try to do jobs in the shaded areas or inside. Work in the sun exposed areas are done early morning or evening time. Steve