Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 October 2003 16:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rakesh Maharaj Dear All, I know that a recent thread regarding accident and incident reporting has received significant response, however, I would very much appreciate your thoughts on the following issue. A national, multi-site organisation is currently attempting to streamline its accident, incident and first aid recording procedures by using an intranet reporting system as opposed to the traditional accident book method. This has now given rise to a number of issues: 1. Can an electronic system of recording accidents replace the accident book? 2. What (legal)implications does it have in the event of enforcement? 3. Are there any organisations in the UK who have successfully used electronic methods for recordings, and if so, what are the initial pitfalls? Your reponses will be appreciated Rakesh
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 October 2003 16:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett We are a medium sized unitary authority who recently went over to an electronic system. I would say that it has been less successful than everyone hoped, for the following reasons: the particular system that was bought (with, I might add, precious little consultation with the H&S advisers around the council) requires two separate entries to complete a record - very cumbersome and time consuming the system required a designated person from each section to be trained in its use the system works only in those areas where people work with immediate access to a computer. In other cases, they have to make a paper record for the designated person to use - which defeats the object! the system prompts the user to complete an F2508 but is not always accurate and so we have seen a sharp spike in reportable accidents which are not really reportable (this mainly affects schools) I would say that if you are planning to go electronic, go for the simplest possible system that fits the way your organisation works. Bells and whistles are fine but are in real life of minimal use and in the end you may see a drop in reporting rather than the more accurate results you were hoping for. Hope this helps Zoe
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 October 2003 17:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser Rakesh, The direct answers to your first two questions are Yes and None respectively. As for the latter, I'd endorse Zoe wrote - make sure the resulting system will acheive the intended results of making the actual recording process simple and efficient to use, while promoting the ability of easily collating statistics that will have a positive impact on safety. And don't forget, any system must comply with the Data Protection Act regarding confidential information. Our multi-discipline multi-location oepration hasn't been able to move completely to an electronic system because of that - we still use BI510 for recording injury incidents accordingly.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 October 2003 23:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rakesh Maharaj Zoe, many thanks for sharing your experiences, sorry that no thought had been given to the consultation regs. Sean.... just as I thought - thanks for the confirmation. Yes, I have considered the implications of the Data Protection Act, and we are hoping that the software can overcome that challenge. Many thanks once again u guyz.