Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 October 2003 18:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Burnett Has anyone read the HSE research report 097 which the HSE look set to introduce changes into the guidence to the MHOR Regs. The area of interest is the change from keeping a straight back at start of lift to slight bending of back, hips and knees. Just wondering if any Manual Handling Trainers have started to use this new technique yet.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 October 2003 18:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Peter If someone is having to lift something from the floor by putting at least one hand under the load, they will have to get their back out of shape (unless they have unusually long arms). However, once the load is in motion, the lifter should straighten their back as soon as practicable. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2003 11:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tyler For my training courses I use the most natural example of lifting available to promote safe lifting technique. Watch a baby lifting something off the floor and you will see the natural (and correct) technique, this is before they learn incorrect techniques. In short use the leg muscles, they are the strongest in the body and keep the back as straight as possible (some degree of back bending is natural but should be avoided as soon as possible). I'm not sure why the HSE have moved away from this guidance (I havent read the new guidance fully yet) but I suspect they are trying to make the revised guidance more realistic. Tyler
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2003 23:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Isn't it the argument that the human backbone is naturally curved and any attempt to lift with this out of its designed shape will be placing forces upon it that will tend to unequally compress the intervertebral discs and may lead to prolapse?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 October 2003 22:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Evans I have been teaching that the back should be maintained as far as possible in its natural curve a slight "S" shape. I've always assumed the term straight back to mean that it should not be tilted to either side when viewed head on or from the rear.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 October 2003 09:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond ROSPA advocate a more natural style of lifting - like a toddler - rather than the traditional squat with dead-straight back. They do this on their courses - but their posters still show the traditional lift! I play in a band in my spare time. Carrying gear is much easier and feels more natural using the ROSPA approach rather than using traditional manual handling techniques. I met an Osteopath MH trainer who slated the ROSPA method - I think mainly because he thought it lacked research and was competition for him! Another key difference with the ROSPA training was keeping both soles flat on the floor when lifting. Where-as the traditional method involves an awkward positioning of one foot on the ball of the foot and knee practically touching the floor. I havn't seen the latest info from the HSE but from what you say, it sounds like it might be influenced by ROSPA.