Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2003 12:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Does anyone have any experience of dealing with an employee who has this condition. Thanks, Eric
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2003 13:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan It depends on how you define OCD. This is an illness and a form of neurosis that is typically characterised by compulsion to complete certain types of ritualstic behaviour. Hand washing and cleaning, tidying (preoccupation with hygiene) are the most common forms. In its less severe forms I have known sufferers to be able to carry on reasonabely normally at work but in its severe forms it can be very debilitating, causing all sorts of problems for both the sufferer and the employer.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2003 13:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Emma Forbes We had one guy who had OCD. Prior to his diagnosis part of his job entailed locking the depot (containing hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of vehicles, plant etc), checking lights etc etc. It didn't come to light until we had to call the police one night to the depot as an employee noticed the lights were on - it turned out to be our OCD employee checking for the third time that night that everything was off, locked etc. We tried to alter his job by taking the responsibility away from him but to no avail. The symptoms persisted through other duties also. It got so bad for him that he went off with depression and as a result developed agrophobia. We offered to help through OH, supporting him through the illness but unfortunetly he decided to go for ill health retiral. I don't know if we could have handled it any better, - I think it is a manifestation of stress and depression and needs to be supported as any of these illnesses - I could be wrong.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 October 2003 14:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas Similarly, had an employee who couldn't leave anything he had locked, e.g. car, his locker, cupboards etc without constantly checking and re-checking it, numerous times. He would take anything up to ten minutes to leave his car after locking it in the car park We called in Occ' Health and eventually an outside counselling consultancy that had been excellent with us in the past, and discovered that this behaviour had all began after he had been burgled at home. Our organisation continued with providing him with this counselling service and we did all we could with him as regards his work activities, e.g. removing all duties involving locking. However, it never really stopped his compulsive behaviour and the burglary sadly ruined his life (do gooders take note). He retired at the first opportunity and I still see him now, unforunately he's no better. Don't know what else, if anything, we could have done. He did say that "closure" in respect of catching the culprit who broke into his house, would have helped him a bit. I suppose he never really came to terms with the fear of the "incident" re-occurring.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 October 2003 16:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Many thanks for these responses. There is some useful information on the internet which I have also been researching. I have yet to meet our employee with this condition (involving compulsive cleaning) but I am building up a picture of the condition, which appears to be frustrating for the employee and those around them who try to help. Once again, thanks for sharing your experiences. Eric
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 October 2003 18:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Manion Had to deal with someone in private flat who would not let others throw away thier waste, she would take it ino her flat, clean it and store it, it became a fire risk and as wooden joists over-loading of the structure. I took approx 10 skips to clear debris. Our client, managing agent and lease-holders had severe problems in adressing the problem but was amicable at the end Jeff Manion