Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2003 14:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter_kane Working from a Transit van in winter is no fun,Now they can not even run the Engine to keep warm. Has anyone managed to get the company to install personal heaters and provide means of heating food ?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2003 16:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Hello Peter, My husband is a lorry driver and faces similar difficulties. He has a kettle that plugs into the cigarette lighter and he can have tea, coffee, packet soup and pot noodles. He also has a fridge that he can plug into the cigarette lighter that he keeps milk, coke, etc. in. He usually ends up going to motorway services and paying a fortune for burgers, sausage rolls, etc i.e. junk food and he spends a fortune each week on food. I know it is expensive but could you go in the van and buy hot food? Or have a packed lunch each day and then get a fry on a Friday? We have seen a microwave that you can get permanently wired into the lorry but it is 24V. We have also seen little ovens that are 24V. Is there a lorry in your fleet that you could get this put into? Actually, I have just done a search on Yahoo. Search for "12V microwave" and you will get results. Now all you have to do is persuade your employer to buy it! Good luck, Karen
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 October 2003 12:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By smudge Peter i work for the fire service and we have trialled a product called HOTCAN they are based in Coventry. These are self heating cans and you can get all types of meals. Regards smudge
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 October 2003 14:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede Certainly in the rail industry a lot of crew buses were provided with heaters for hot water and hot plates and/or microwaves for food preparation so this is not unknown and I am sure that other utilities do much the same. Obviously these were not production line vehicles but were specially built for the purpose. I am sure that these must come available on the second hand market from time to time so perhaps there is a need to ask for them. David