Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2003 21:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Clay Can someone point me in the right direction, legislation wise, on where it states that it is illegal for employers to make employees buy their own PPE. Boots for example. Many Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2003 21:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick Ian check out the HSE guidance on this. http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg174.pdf Remember, uniforms may not be PPE regards Steve
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 October 2003 05:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john mclinton Ian The clause you are looking for stems from clause 9 of the H&S at work act 1974. This section forbids the employer to charge his employees for any measure he is required to provide by law. Hope this helps. John
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 October 2003 09:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould I don't know the specifics on this as in my experiance you find that some employers may make you wait for 3 months before issuing PPE, others will charge you if you leave the company within a period of time after being issued and finaly some employers are very good when ppe is addressed as an issue. Perhaps someone who knows the "in and outs" could explain why they get away with this and what the benefits and implications are apart from fact employee could say smash his toes in on second day. Some companies may offer the bare necessety boot etc and employees will pay extra for more comfort & style etc. I think they are allowed to do that as long as the bare boot is suitable for the environment i.e. anti static etc. People who face the sharp end of the stick are temporay workers.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 October 2003 09:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott John hit the nail on the head! - The Personal Protective Equipment at Work ACOP, Reg 4 guidance 24/25. By virtue of Section 9 of the HSW Act 1974, no charge can be made to the worker for the provision of PPE which is only used at work. Sect 9 states " no employer shall levy or permit to be levied on any employee of his in respect of anything done or provided in pursuance of any specific requirement of the relevany statutory provisions" Sect 9 applies to the PPE regs because they impose a "specific requirement" - ie to provide PPE.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 October 2003 18:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Clive Lowery Ian, had an interesting conversation the other day in a Safety Equipment Providers Premises when enquiring about the cost of Satey Boots he stated "As part of a Government incentive, if I were to purchase the boots privately they are exempt VAT whereas if an employer was purchasing, they would be VAT rated" not heard of that before but no doubt it could influence some employers to try and get employees to purchase their own boots! Irrespective it doesn't get round Section 9 of HASAWA. PS I didn't buy the boots as the colour didn't suit.