Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 October 2003 11:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Claire McCann Hi, Does anyone know where you can buy gas emission detectors (carbide) which clip on to your jacket in the South of England. Any suggestions appreciated. Kind regards Claire
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 October 2003 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Claire What do you mean by 'carbide'? Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 October 2003 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Claire McCann Hi Paul, Thanks for your response. I had a query from an insurance company re a client of theirs. The client grind drill bits, the tips are Tungsten Carbide, this process gives off Carbide. The HSE requested that they test/monitor the atmopshere to ensure that their process is not putting 'colbalt' into the atmposhere. Its been suggested that they purchase these personal detectors. Any suggestions?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 October 2003 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Barr Hi Claire. Try, The Institute Of Occupational Medicine, in Scotland. I know its a fair distance from you but if you tell them what you want I have found that within 5 working days you will recieve them by post. I use them for all filters, vapour monitors and for all the testing and have found them to be very good Hope this helps Gavin
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 October 2003 15:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt From what you say it sounds as though the material you are dealing with is a mixture of tungsten carbide, an extremely hard material, which is cemented together with cobalt, a very hard and tough metal. The stuff that is given off when it is ground (what with? Diamond? Tungsten carbide is not easy to grind!) is likely to contain tungsten carbide dust and cobalt dust. I am not aware of any monitor that distinguishes either cobalt or tungsten carbide, but if you do a web search on 'dust monitor' you will find a number of products that can measure total dust. Jane