Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 October 2003 20:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Baz Broomhead
Can anyone point me to any prosecutions/ prohibition notices issued to a scaffold company for not ensuring its employees were working harnessed on whilst unprotected above 4 Metres. I've looked at the HSE website wih no luck
There is an issue at the place I'm working where the scaffolders seem to know better than the SG4 guidance and their MD doesnt seem interested in enforcing it, saying they cant work properly whilst on a lanyard.
I've quoted the relevent Regs etc, but would also like to hit him from the possible financial aspects of failing to comply.

Cheers Baz
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 October 2003 12:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Des Daly
Baz,

As a current memeber of the NASC Health and Safety Committee and the SG4:00 Working Group ( currently reviewing SG4:00) I am very concerned about your experiences with scaffolders working unprotected and and their MD condoning their actions.

Have you checked if this company is a member of the NASC? If they are, a call to the NASC ( Mr Dave Chapman is the safety adviser) could have a dramatic effect on their unacceptable behaviour.

SG4:00 has been heavily criticised since it's publication for being unworkable. however, the fact is that in the absence of anything else the key principles described in SG4:00 would ensure that work progresses safely.

It would be interesting to find out what the selection process was for this company. Was their quote the cheapest etc.?

It is simply unacceptable for scaffolders and their MD to work in the old ( extremely unsafe) way.

The HSE would certainly be interested in this blatant breach of health and safety legislation and a prohibition notice served.

It's a tough one to call, but I think that their work should be stopped until such time that they can demonstrate a safe system of work - it does not have to be SG4:00.

Let me know If you need further advice.

Regards,

Des Daly

Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 October 2003 13:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Des Daly
Baz,

As a member of the NASC's Health and Safety Committee and a member of the SG4:00 Working Group ( currently reviewing SG4:00) I find your comments disturbing.

Is the scaffolding company an NASC member? If they are, a call to the NASC could have a dramatic effecton their performance.

It is simply unacceptable for them to work in the same old ( unsafe) way.

It's a tough call to make, but I think that their work should be stopped until such time a safe system of work is in place ( did they submit a Method Statement/ Risk Assessment - have you seen it?)

The HSE would also be concerned and a prohibition notice could be served on them/ the site for serious breaches of health and safety legislation.

SG4:00 has been heavily criticised since it's publication for being unworkable, however, in the absence of antyhing else the key principles would ensure safe working.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Regards,

Des Daly
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 October 2003 13:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Des Daly
Baz,

Lost thr first response so sent another - anyway I think the message was the same.

Des Daly
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 October 2003 14:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gerry Marchant
Baz,

I have the same proble, whether or not the scaff org is a member of the NASC. The guys putting up the scaff usually think they are above the H&S rules/Law.

Bottom line is - do you want these people working for you if they are not prepared to follow basic safety rules regarding fall from height protection.

We now follow the zero tolerance rule - no hat, no boots, no harness, no job.

Its my neck and my MD on the line!

Gerry
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 October 2003 21:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick
Someone in your business is the owner of that contract; it is his responsibility to enforce your company rules with them.

They are being paid to do the job in compliance with your rules, UK legislation and to a standard.

They should be told to comply or leave. There are plenty of others who would take the businesses.

Steve
PS threats of prosecutions dont work, how many of us know someone who has been prosecuted under H&S legislation.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 22 October 2003 21:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould
Hi Baz

Speak to who ever authorised these contactors and your company secretary (contract advisor)(tender etc)

Im sure you have enough justification to stop the job but make sure your backed up to the hilt. When I say speak I mean in writing with forwarding to your boss etc.

Im no expert here but I think you def need to check from warning I had in past.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 22 October 2003 22:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Cook
Baz,

If their working on your site and their putting themself or any other site user at risk - stop them.

I reakon that if you`ve brought the hazards and the relavent regs to their attention and they`ve chosen to ignore them, preventing them from working is probably the next "reasonably practicable" thing to do.

If you wanna to provoke another type of response from the scaffolders (and you don`t mind havin a load of scaf couplers chucked at yer), take a digital camera out onto site and photograph the guys and their dodgy practices, their vans, their lack of ppe etc.
Its funny really but when bob the builder up the scaffold realises that you`ve got pictures of him and his haphazard ways he tends to go a bit sheepish and the hard hats start to come out of the van pretty quick.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 23 October 2003 10:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith
I have raised the following comments in order to open up the debate and to try and look at the wider issues that this problem raises.

Sending scaffolders away because they will not wear harnesses does not necessarily work and could have a much greater impact on safety than if you do permit them to continue to work.

For example if you send scaffolders away they almost certainly won’t turn up the next day and you are lucky if they return the day after that. By that stage the bricklayers who where due to be working on that scaffolding lift have been laid off and before long there could be up to a ten day delay in the project. To recover the time lost there is tendency to crowd more trades onto a project resulting in further hazards and risk to that project.

Unfortunately, in the real world the majority of scaffolding operatives still do not wear harnesses let alone actually work to the process laid out in SG4:00.

For some reason scaffolders appear to be reluctant to wear a harnesses even to the point that a recent TV add for a large high street bank showed actors clearly portrayed as scaffolders without harnesses.

Unfortunately the management of this issue is not a black and white one.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 23 October 2003 10:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould
If the safety Proffesion was to accept that as reasonable justification to allow these companies to ignore safety practices then were in for a storm of job delaying tactics used by all trades. (keep the job going)

(Wait a minute mate Im standing on this box only cos I need to get this wall up or the sparky and decorater will be working under each others feet creating a risk.)

I'm sure there are complicating factors going on here i.e. job needs to be done etc,
maybe your own senior management are happy with (go cheap ltd).

How does one affect change is my concern.

1. Do you look at tendering next time and make sure you get better company?

2. Do you continue to fold under the exuses?

3. Do you inform the authorites (can you)

4. Is the leglislation unworkable or not reasonably practicable? (seek change)

5. Do you stop the job, kick them off site, risk the extra cost and put it on the head of the person who hired them in the first place.

I personally dont know what the best action would be on a construction site as im more of a manufacturing person. I sometimes wonder if we have an advantage with controling contractors.

Good luck on the end result

Jason ( the twister )

Admin  
#11 Posted : 23 October 2003 12:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Compliance with anything is based on trust, not enforcement. This applies to laws as well as company policies and procedures. If everyone stands up and says "we're not going to do it" then the inevitable result is contradiction - what we say is not what we do. There are only two ways to address this - remove the requirement and simply accept the situation as it stands, or take action in the short and long term. Short term means enforcement, but long terms means changing attitudes and behaviours. There are only so many jails, so many inspectors, so many resources in terms of time and money. Punitive measures are not the most effective means of encouraging compliance and as we know threats of prosecution are worthless when we know the reality of it is actually quite slim - as do the transgressors. There needs to be a general acknowledgement of the principles involved and effective means of implementing them, otherwise you will be struggling form the start and it will enver get better. And lip service is worse than no service at all.

This is a moral issue as well as a business one - are we willing to just accept "the real world" or do we endorse our quoted principles through leadership by example? If we say that our contractors must work safely, what do we do about it? Do we audit them? Do we carry out inspections? Or do we engage them and then leave them to it? No wonder construction is one of the least safe industries - some (people may claim most) don't seem to want to take effective action and we (the clients) don't seem to want to challenge them. Generalised statement I know - does anyone want to object?

There ARE good construction companies out there who operate to safe standards - they are the ones who understand that good health and safety is good business and improves the bottom line overall. These are the ones we should encourage by engaging them as preferred bidders and attitude to safety should be given the highest weighting in any contract review process - attitudes that are reinforced through demonstrable action. If you find otherwise - chuck them out. If your contract is any good, you can avoid recompense due to a material breach - and sue them in turn for wasting your time and delaying your project as a result! This is where a good legal team becomes worth their salt when designing contract terms. If you don't specify high safety performance standards by default - get it added for future contracts.

If you have established good safety principles in your contract (which they have agreed to) then you can enforce it. A good project, well designed and well planned will take as long as it was pitched for - and WILL take as long as it was pitched for barring the unforeseeable. Bad design and bad planning will end up over-running every time - dealing with accidents takes time, especially when replacements need to be found for LTIs, so the argument that "following safety rules takes longer" is a cop out for the lazy and shoddy characters who are driven by greed alone.

Take a stand - but don't be surprised when now it has come to the crunch, those who proclaimed that safety was highest on their agenda are suddenly unwilling to prove it by action. At least then you will know the actual corporate culture and attitude over what is in print and frequently spouted.

There should be no compromise on safety principles. It might take time to turn attitudes around, and the only real way to do this is to walk the talk - to do otherwise will make you complicit in any accidents that follow. It is not a question of if, only when.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 23 October 2003 12:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould
A much better way of putting it Sean.
Dredd to be on the end of one of your non compliance reports. LOL
Admin  
#13 Posted : 23 October 2003 13:04:00(UTC)
Admin

I have experienced the situation where scaffolders would rather walk off site rather than wear a harness even though their method statement clearly identifies that they will wear them.

If you do an audit type trail on this issue, the underlying problem is probably a cultural one. Unfortunately I have not seen any research, but I believe that many scaffolders take up the trade because they are most comfortable with working with the (dangerous) type of risk that this trade historically has. Unfortunately when we now come along and try and reduce this risk, we are possibly seen as a significant threat to their livelihood and credibility are taking away their heritage and therefore they feel less safe.

Personally putting a harness on and working with one is not difficult issue (I have done it), but when a whole trade works considerably harder to avoid using these we need to identify the real underlying cause of the problem.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 23 October 2003 14:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Manion
Couple of years ago in London just before Xmas break scaffolder on open edge ten or so lifts up.
Harness over shoulder.
Inspector walked by called him down.
Scaffold man used "words" such as go away!
Inspector walked onto site.
Scaffold man comes down.
Questions to scaffold man and Diretor "have you been on course (SG4)?
Yes was the repsonse.
Conversation with his boss on phone.
I going to prosecute you both - scaffold man & Director.
Within hour all scaffold men of this company knew.
Scaffold man and Director informed of potential penalties.
Scaffold man went home for Christmas / New year.
After two week break inspector arrived talks to scaffold man and Director.
Scaffold man to go on course (refresher sg4 type) when complete inspector wants to see pass certificate.
No action taken by inspector.
Put the wind up scaffold company and scaffold man.
Scaffold company not NASC.
On site yesterday - scaffold company still doing same.
Informed site agent about open edges.
They did respond - then decided it was to unsafe to work so left site.
Did not mention that investigated other scaffold man of same company who fell 3 metres plus of scaffold - not wearing harness - with two trainees - not wearing harness.
One who fell broke back, broke wrist.
Two week later the trainees returned to site open edges no harness.
Jeff Manion
Admin  
#15 Posted : 23 October 2003 14:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ian mcnally
Hi Baz,

Firstly I sympathise with your position. I don’t have any actual listed enforcement action taken against scaffolders although I have seen the odd press cuttings. Like you, I would find it useful to outline possible outcomes to individuals but feel such affects would have limited value. As regards to scaffolders knowing SG4 ……I doubt it.

Scaffolding issues are very close to my heart as I have been lecturing on scaffolding at the Construction Health and Safety Group in Chertsey for a number of years now and needless to say part of the course includes the principles of SG4. When SG4 was finally produced I must confess I was initially a little sceptical on the practical application. Having erected scaffolding as part of a course at the CITB some years earlier I do have a feel for what we are expecting scaffolders to do. No doubt you have heard all the arguments about the lanyard impeding progress and creating an unsafe environment etc etc.

When you analyse what we are actually asking them to do it’s not so draconian. Wear a harness at all times but essentially only clip on when exposed to a fall over 4.0m.

I report to a director who I have a great deal of respect for, not because he will do anything to ensure the company manages its’ risk in line with current legislation and best practice, but because he demands to be advised on just what current best practice is. He will then apply a logical thought process before he agrees or disagrees on any commercially viable policy solutions /actions for the company.

Some time ago our site managers were finding it difficult to enforce the harness rule and I’m not naive enough to think we’re 100% now but one particular action had a huge impact. The action was largely due to a director taking a tough line, zero tolerance on the wearing of safety harnesses. He rang 90% of our core scaffold contractors and asked the MD or senior partner of the scaffold contractors whether they had any problems with complying with the harness rule in SG4….guess what, not one contractor said they had a problem and from then on I had a very clear mandate to relay to all contracts and site managers.

It’s fair to say that in most cases whoever signs the policy statement or has been made directly responsible for H & S will not want to be complicit with any unsafe work practices. When safety inspections flag up a common theme of unsafe practices I would suggest the individual would want to be able to demonstrate that plenty of firm action had been taken and in a writing.

If you have identified a reluctance by a contractor or contractors to ignore best practice you have little choice but to take action. I no longer give warnings to scaffolders for failing to wear harnesses at 4m or more they are just asked politely to leave site (I am only 11st 5’ 9” and am still living proof you can do it) I will then have a conversation with the site manager and scaffolder contractor director. It works honest!. All the stories I used to hear about not being able to get men to work on site have proved unfounded.

It helps to make it clear at a pre start meeting what you require and get them to agree to this. Any good site management that have been given a clear mandate by their line managers / directors should have no problem to enforce that mandate.

Monitoring!

This is where it might get uncomfortable, I have spoken to many safety advisors who fear that written internal communication to their superiors may not be such a good career move. If this is a problem you may be well advised to look for an employer who values your advice, after all that’s what they pay you for.

I wish you every success with your quest, and as for getting scaffolders to follow SG4 practice, I think I could write a book, it would never sell a copy though.

Ian McNally

Admin  
#16 Posted : 23 October 2003 21:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick
No wonder the general public, press and media sneer at us (and scaffolders)

If they should wear a harness and you have challenged them on it, then they argue the point and then refuse to wear it how can you leave it there?

Report the matter to the manager in charge of the contract, if he refuses to take action then speak to his boss.

It’s fine talking about some prosecutions that others may have had, or talking about culture change, which takes a few years "if you are lucky". But this scaffolding company is not showing you any respect at all. I know how I would feel about that about.

We must have respect. We must demand respect.
Surely you have the support of your management.

"Take the gloves off" otherwise you are letting them know that they can please themselves what the do, and the next time that you pass they may well throw some couplings at you.

Steve

Admin  
#17 Posted : 24 October 2003 13:10:00(UTC)
Admin

The frustrating thing is that if SG4:00 had worked properly; three years later we should not even be discuss this matter on this forum.

As the scaffolding industry has chosen to work with the procedures laid out in SG4:00, it should be firmly enforcing the changes itself.

What I find most frustrating is that we are still simply discussing some of the most basic issues of supervision which is the responsibility of the scaffolding contractor themselves and not the principal contractor. I simply do not see that it is now the job of a principal contractor to be asking scaffolders to put harnesses and tell them how to put up scaffolding in line with the guidance in SG4:00

I know that I discussed the cultural issue earlier, however I believe this matter now needs to be firmly tackled by the scaffolding industry itself as a matter of urgency.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 25 October 2003 20:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Baz Broomhead
Wow, thanks for all the responses, it has given me a lot to digest. I am of the opinion that this issue will take a long time to sort itself out, mainly by changing peoples attitudes.It may be that we have to wait for the current crop of advanced scaffolders to retire and take the "Its not happened yet" attitude with them . Having looked at the HSE website, there doesnt seem to be a lot of prohibition notices etc being issued for failure to comply even though it was an area that was being clamped down on.
I have noticed an improvement over the past week, so I'll keep chipping away.
Baz
Admin  
#19 Posted : 27 October 2003 08:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
This will probuably breach forum rules but here goes.

Open HSE prosecutions search "deborah", you'll come up with 3 or 4.