Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 October 2003 23:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Evans
I have a client in the rag trade. They cut through up to 50 pieces of cloth at one time using a power knife. I am trying to source a suitable glove to protect the guide hand.

Can anyone tell me what other companies use. The knife will cut throught gloves with a cut resistance of five like a hot knife through butter.

Chain mail looks like the only alternative though there is concern that if the blade severs the links the links may be pushed into any wound.

Regards

Neil Evans, MIOSH
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 October 2003 08:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By AlanB
Neil,

Why don't you test the chain mail gloves out? Either get the manufacturer to try them out or get it done independently, where a chain mail glove is put around a fake hand (such as wood or a plastic dummy hand) and attempt to cut throiugh it with the knife. Attemt this a few times and see what the result is. If the chain mail does not break, then great. If it does, then by how much? Is it better than what is currently used?

Alan
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 October 2003 11:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott
Neil - chain mail gloves are a standard item in use in abatoirs and butchery. There are a number of suppliers who can advise you on the appropriateness and the standards to be met - your own PPE supplier may well be able to source them for you. You can try www.protecdirect.co.uk or www.turton.co.uk who both stock a range of metal mesh gloves for the type of work you describe. Regards
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 October 2003 17:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan
Neil,

I saw protective gloves demonstrated at the National Safety Council Expo last month and was very impressed by their cut resistance. They were made of a very flexible fabric, and came in a variety of styles, from thumb and finger gloves to full hand, and also in aprons. They were produced by Hexarmor and can be viewed on www.hexarmor.com .

Contact Lauri Skrzycki
Director of Operations
Performance Fabrics, Inc.
lauri@performancefabricsinc.com

Regards, Philip