Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 October 2003 16:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Taylor
I have am having problems convincing operatives not to carry items on their the head ie packaging , I have explained weight etc is not the only consideration whilst lifting etc, Has any one had this problem or got some constructive advice eg is carrying loads on your head exceptable in any situation or realy bad practice.
John T

Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 October 2003 17:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House
John

I cannot see that carrying loads on the head as being acceptable in any circumstances. Carrying loads on the head rewsults in injuries and deformations of the spine, neck and skull which can be crippling (including Cervical Spondylosis).

For a little more info on the subject, visit: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih....tract&list_uids=95143185

Regards

Nick.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 October 2003 17:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt
Probably not a good thing as your other respondent says, but common practice in some parts of the world. Most people have not especially well developed neck muscles, so could be dangerous.

In my youth when I was a young judo player we used to carry the mats on our heads (2 m x 1 m, stuffed with rice straw and probably weighing around 20 to 25 kg). There was a distinct knack to getting them up there, and we found it really helped us develop strong neck muscles!! I well remember the day when a tall colleague crept up from behind and deposited his mat on top of mine. Strong neck muscles are essential to the sport. Having looked at the link from the previous correspondent we perhaps were not doing the right thing!

Jane
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 October 2003 21:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick
John
it seems your people have found the easiest and most comfortable way to carry what ever you are asking them to carry.

It seems to me the next step is to introduce some mechanical handling to make things easier.

In essence offer them a better alternative.

regards

Steve