Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 October 2003 12:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Edward Hawksey
Does anyone have a copy of their jewellery policy they would mind sharing?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 October 2003 13:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
The UK oil and gas industry safety intiative Step Change have a jewellery policy for offshore facilties - a copy can be found on:

http://step.steel-sci.or...main_publications_fs.htm

and look under "policies and guidance" - it's at the top. Note that this is considered a best practice guide - it is only mandatory if the operator adopts it, but if they do then everyone visiting or working on the installation needs to comply.

I would caution against implementing any such policies without clear safety or health justifications - if there is no substantiated case behind it then prepare for concerted resistance. From my own understanding, risks are that the jewellery can contribute directly to an injury (catching in moving parts and damaging the body as a direct consequence) and can indirectly exacerbate another injury (constricting a damaged area like a finger swelling due to another cause such as allergic) thereby making medical treatment difficult and adding to existing harm as a result. Activities involving food will also have consideration of loss of jewellery into the product and all that entails!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 October 2003 16:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett
I haven't got a policy as such but I can let you have a copy of the standard letter schools can send to parents explaining why jewellery isn't allowed - it also covers the sensitive issue of jewellery worn for religious reasons.

Sadly even this wasn't enough to satisfy one mum, who claimed that her 5 year old's huge earrings were were worn for "cultural reasons" - on being asked what these were she replied " 'cos 'er grandad's Italian."

Sigh...
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 October 2003 17:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Sproul
Edward,

If Sean's suggestion does not suffice, I have a copy of a jewellery policy which you would have to alter to suit.

E-mail me direct if you require it.

John.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 October 2003 14:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw
What industry sector is it in relation to? We have one in terms of stopping jewellery getting in the product (also sweets), but does not cover the H&S risks as this is down to departmental risk assessments. Let me know if any use and I will send it.

Sarah