Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 October 2003 12:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Pike
We are in the throes of the development and implementation of a Substance Misuse policy and the maximum blood alcohol concentration (BAC) being suggested for unacceptable impairment is 0.5% against the current drink drive limit of 0.8% BAC.

I have some concerns that we may have employees who satisfy the Road Traffic Act requirements in travelling to work and then 'fail' an internal measure set at a higher standard.

We are not what I would consider to be a 'safety critical' industry such as nuclear or process industries, we operate in warehousing and distribution which is classed as being of medium risk.

If you have implemented such a policy I would be interested in your views as to what standards you applied and the rationale in reaching them.

Many thanks in anticpation!

Dave Pike
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 October 2003 17:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Sproul
Dave,

I have implemented a drug and alcohol policy previously for a construction related company, which was also classed as a medium risk.

The BAC level set was that of the current drink drive limit.

The testing of employees was conducted randomly using a screening service, the costs borne by the company.

Your difficulty may be in how you intend to 'test' employees as normally the screening service requires some notice prior to employees being screened.

There are various human and legal rights, etc. which may have to be considered too.

Although you have classed warehouse and distribution as medium risk, employees no doubt operate vehicles and equipment to place and remove pallets on racking and load/unload vehicles. These activities can often be regarded as high risk and therefore operators must be fully aware and focused on the activity.

You would therefore be able to implement a more strict internal measure but you need to be able to police it for it to be effective.

John.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 October 2003 11:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Pike
Thanks for your reply John, the medium risk classification is one that the HSE uses for warehousing and distribution.

We have already agreed terms with a company for the management of the drugs side of substance misuse and we will use a number of suitably trained personnel to undertake the alcohol testing.

We will be using home office approved and scientifically calibrated breatherlyser units for such tests.

We will also have a very robust policy and procedures to operate such a process, it will also include an amnesty period and some very good welfare options.

I'm satisfied that we can meet with all types of legislation during its implementation and operation, I'm just a little unconfortable that the testing for alcohol has a more stringent level than that required by the Road traffic Act!

Dave