Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 October 2003 15:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Bower
I'm looking for a reference regarding the practice of 'cracking' a cylinder prior to connecting it to remove debris etc. from the connector.

Basic assessment shows it to be an undesirable action but I believe HSE guidance actually suggests and allows this practice.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.
Thanks

Stuart
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 October 2003 15:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt
'Cracking' or 'snifting' is pretty common practice. It is not a safe practice, however. There is a big risk from the high speed gas that emerges - if you get any part of your anatomy in the way you could get a serious injury. On no account must people deflect the gas stream with their hands. There is also a high level of noise associated with the practice.

Last of all, if the gas is hydrogen it can ignite spontaneously. And of course it should go without saying that you should not snift a cylinder of a toxic gas.

Regards
Jane

Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 October 2003 18:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
I find myself in two minds over this one. I always used to do it myself, "a quick squirt to clear the dust out of the threads". But, thinking about it, and the possible risks from toxic or highly inflammable gasses, (re janes reply), and the very low probability of there actually being any dust under the plastic cap - I think I would advise against the practice.

For me, it was a habit. And habits are very dangerous things to get into and hard to get out of. What do BOC or aire liquide think about it ?

Merv Newman
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 October 2003 09:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Bower
Thanks Jane & Merv,

For anyone else who's interested HSG 139 (2002) actually recommends when connecting new oxygen supplies 'slowly open the cylinder valve, then quickly close it again to dislodge any contamination from within the cylinder valve.' Hmmm - small particles dislodged by nearly 2000 psi.

Have to admit to being surprised this is actually recommended practice. Any risk assessment 'banning' this practice may have difficulty in enforcement?

What about the use of blanking plugs etc. to prevent ingress of dirt etc?

I'm sure there are some out there who know better than me!!

Stuart