Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 October 2003 09:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tyler
Good morning colleagues,

My wife has informed me that the central heating in the school where she works does not get switched on until mid november and that the school (particularly the classroom in which she teaches)is very cold.

I have suggested the minimum temperature for offices and the like applies (13 C - Welfare Regs), but she insists that this issue has been raised in the past and that that legislation does not apply to schools.

Can someone confirm this?

Tyler
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 October 2003 09:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Tyler

Check the Education (School Premises) Regulations 1999.

Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 October 2003 10:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tyler
Thanks Paul,

As I suspected there is a minimum temperature applicable (although it isnt the welfare regs).

Thanks for this.

Tyler
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 October 2003 10:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt
I don't see how anyone can argue that H&S legislation does not apply to schools. Schools contain employees, and H&S Legislation begins with the words 'It shall be the duty of every employer....'. One wonders what else they are missing!

I notice that the specific regulations for schools, cited by an earlier respondent, impose even higher standards than H&S legislation, so therefore they take precedence.

Jane

Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 October 2003 13:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tyler
Jane,

That was my thinking also, but I thought I'd better double check as I am aware that there is specific legislation for that sector.

However, I too wonder what else the schools are missing, (the more cynical side to me is wondering what else they are fobbing teachers off with).

A quick search on the net lead me to a NUT article on this subject, designed to inform the teachers etc of the standards they should expect.

Tyler
Admin  
#6 Posted : 27 October 2003 13:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt
Tyler

The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 applies to schools in exactly the same way as any other employer. The only difference is that the "employer" changes depending on whether it is an aided or county school. In an aided school the governors are the employer and in a county school it is the LEA.

I would be VERY VERY surprised if the Headteacher was unaware of this fact,as there is oodles of information from the HSE on managing health and safety in schools.

There is also guidance on the health and safety responsibilities of School Governors also.

Regards,

Eric

Admin  
#7 Posted : 27 October 2003 13:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jerry Sanderson
Just for information the minimum temperature for teaching accommodation is 18C and for areas such as gyms where the pupils are more physically active is 15c and for sick rooms is 21C.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 27 October 2003 16:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
The Workplace (HSW) Reg apply so for sedentary work the reasonable temp would be 16 C.

With regard to the School Premises Regs they actually require heating systems capable of achieving certain temperatures; they do not say they have to be achieved! And anyway who enforces them?!
Admin  
#9 Posted : 27 October 2003 17:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jerry Sanderson
The School Premesis Regulations actually require that the system is capable of maintaining temperatures not achieving temperatures.
As they are not strictly health and safety legislation they are not enforceable as such but they are certainly seen as best practice and are the standard that I and other colleagues in education that I am aware of use.