Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 October 2003 22:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Aitch
A number of employees on site allege that they are suffering from MSD, dominant Union has ensured that compensation claims should be seen by all employees as a form of bonus and in many aspects have used H&S to fight battles with management. MSD injuries were prevalant on my arrival on site and HSE Improvement Notice was issued. Though there have been changes to methods of working which has reduced majority of incidences (others are still being worked on to eliminate, though drastically reduced), there is a tendency to over act when complaining of MSD injuries. Several employees, who have claims pending for alleged MSD injuries have moved to another employer making the same product (they pay higher wages). New employer has a stringent medical examination for MSD and also a self assessment questionaire. Based on medical and questionaire, if MSD is declared then no offer of employment will be made.
However, several of our ex-employees who are now working for their new employer have submitted claims against my company. Basically they have MSD injuries when working at my site but for a higher wage they do not have MSD injuries. Data Protection Act (though I would dearly love to give their names to their new employer), prevents me from doing so.
These are blatant false claims but our Insurance Company seems fairly loath to take on the Union Solicitors. These claims if successful will increase my site's Insurance Premium substantially. What is the best way to fight these claims without invoking the wrath of the Data Protection Act?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 October 2003 10:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston
If they win their claim ... appeal. Take the claim as far as you can, and use the fact that they did not have an MSD at the start of employement with the next employer as your defence that they did not have it when they left your employement (esp. if the period between jobs was very small).

Shane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 October 2003 12:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson
I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing about (a) unions helping employees screw their employers, while still criticising employers and (b) insurers refusing to fight claims whilst hiking up premiums. These are 2 of the worst symptoms of the sickness in the system.

The only real answer is to try to address the culture through more openness, consultation and involvement. But this is nearly impossibile when the workforce is fluid and exposed to the negative culture in the rest of the sector.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 October 2003 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kieran Dowling
I'm sick of hearing employers and their representatives constantly whinging about the "compensation culture". As a union safety rep, I see plenty of examples of stress, MSDs and other ill health caused by employers through excessive workloads, poor working conditions, bullying managers et al.

In my experience, there is a far greater number of members who could take out justifiable claims, but most are reluctant to launch actions for fear of reprisal or, sadly, simply accept their condition as not the fault of the employer.

I don't condone people making dubious claims, but if people see a loophole they will exploit it. Blame the insurance companies who aren't prepared to put up a fight.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 October 2003 13:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Grace
I am disturbed and disappointed by all the comments knocking the insurance companies.. but then I do work for one. Confining myself to a few comments:

Appeal: There would not be much chance. The vast majority of claims are settled out of court and can thus not be appealed. My employer takes around 1% of claims to court.

Settling/Defending: Settling a case out of court does not mean it has not been defended. Going to court is both expensive and risky - it is generally done only when there is a very strong case and/or there is a point of law to establish.

Defending; Insurers will always support their policyholder and seek to settle on best i.e. lowest terms. But where there is a sound case to answer e.g. an obvious injury there may not be any reasonable defence. And, most important of all, a defence can only be mounted if the employer can produce the required evidence. Without training records, evidence of risk assessments, details of equipment inspections, PPE issue etc etc an insurer is not able to mount a credible defence.

Remember that insurers mirror society - we do not raise claims and when we make a settlement it is against a backdrop that society expects an injured person to receive £X for injury Z.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 31 October 2003 17:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Aitch
Guys, thanks for your messages. A difficult area where legislation seems to be on the side of those in the wrong.

Kieran - won't argue your point as your correct and thats why we are in the job. I have 3 excellent Union Safety Reps who are pro-active and interested, receive in-house H&S training and are an asset. However, there are those of the old school who see any points that they can score against management or the company as 'feel good' factor for them.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 November 2003 15:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin George
Jay

I would speak to a solicitor/lawyer becuase irrespective of the DPA those individuals are making fraudulent claims - either to your company claiming MSD or to the new company not declaring MSD. Either way you look at it you have a moral obligation to see that justice is given a chance to prevail.

Could you not manipulate the "Whistleblower" scenario to get the information to the new company.

Cheers Kelvin