Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2003 14:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston
Consider this imaginary task: Moving 25lt drum of highly caustic solution prior to pouring it into a machine. Do you conduct a manual handling assessment and a COSHH assessment etc etc, or do you just do one process based risk assessment.

If you have implemented a sucessfull process based risk assessment approach, I would very much like to discuss it, or pay a visit and see the result if at all possible.

Shane.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 October 2003 11:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan
Shane,

whatever assessment you do carry out, it must consider ALL the hazards of the work operation and detail how you are to eleiminate or control them. The three "types" of assessment you mention are but particular names given to what is in essence hazard or risk assessments that primarily involve lifting, or hazardous substances, or process operations.

You can either conduct one comprehensive assessment covering all the hazards of the operation, and ensure that everyone knows that it covers all the relevant aspects, or several assessments in respect of the various components and cross reference to (and attach) the other relevant assessments.

Ensure that you use the relevant Regs. ACoPs, MSDS and other guidance, reference to operating procedures, operatives etc. in doing them.

Regards, Philip
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 October 2003 11:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
We keep getting ourselves into a mess trying to separate the various risk assessments into categories. I am 100% with Philip - Assess the risk of the intended opperation and devise the safe method of working that is required. This will include the substance hazards, the maual handling, the PPE, emergency procedure and equipmentr availability at the work place, the equipment to be used etc etc and hopefully the environmental issues also associated with a spillage

Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 October 2003 13:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By AlanB
Shane,

What I have done is to introduce a new type of risk assessment document that assesses the process. I have found that this reduces the amount of paperwork required, increases my productivity (as I don't have to write 2 or 3 different types of forms for diffeent types of hazards, and I find that people (managers and shop floor alike) will read them more, understand them better and see how all the hazards fit together better.

The assessment form I have created includes scope for assessing safety risks, health risks, environmental risks and quality related risks.

Go simple, and don't create unnecessary work for yourself!

Hope this helps.

Alan
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 October 2003 10:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston
I'm all for Process Risk assessment, and can't understand why some people still insist on producing 3 or 4 separate pieces of paper which results in the employee not seeing the wood for the trees.

I want to communicate the controls for the process in a manner that will get through to the employee. A poster of an employee wearing the correct PPE next to the relevant machine gets the message across far better than a peice of paper which gets filed away in a thick folder.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel, so if you have developed a visual management system based on process risk I would much like to learn from what you have done.

Shane.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 30 October 2003 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson
I have specific COSHH assessment formats, but for this example the chemical issues are quite simple so I would assess it in a single general assessment form. Use a pump and pipe the liquid to its point of use, unless it's a one-off.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 October 2003 13:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson
Sorry, you did say it was IMAGINARY...