Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 October 2003 10:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Carl Wignell
Can anyone kindly let me know if there are any regulations or standards for the design of push sticks as used in the woodworking industries.

Thanks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 October 2003 10:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
Hello Carl,

Any push sticks I have seen have been home made so I would be interested in seeing the other responses to your posting.

I take it you have already looked at the woodworking information leaflets available from HSEs website? Some of these show push sticks in use but I can't recall reading any guidance on design, etc.

Regards,

Karen
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 October 2003 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Barr
Carl,
any push stick used should be suitable for the purpose it is intended for e.g. of sound construction and length.
I other words it won't break when used to push and its long enough so the hands are clear of the hazard after the materials have been pushed through.
I dont recall ever seeing any legislation on such a thing.
Hope this helps

Gavin
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 October 2003 13:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ian mcnally
Hi Carl,

Check out the ACoP for the safe use of woodworking machines. Pushsticks to be 450mm long, handle would typically be red and 150mm with a birdsmouth at the end. The object is to keep fingers 300mm away from the blade. All sorts of other good stuff in it.

Best of luck

Ian