Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2003 15:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie Given the recent media hype regarding Rio Ferdinands failure to take a drugs test, I am interested to know what policies other organisations have regarding this matter.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 October 2003 16:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser We don't apply a random testing regime, there has to be just cause to test and this is based upon more than just intoxication - however the Oil & Gas industry is at the tail end of an awareness campaign regarding substance abuse offshore and the safety implications. Upshot is though that if the client / operator / OIM (Offshore Installation Manager) believes anyone to be intoxicated or abusing substances then they have a contractual right to prevent that individual from leaving the UK or to send them straight back on shore. Personally, I am not convinced that random drug tests work with sufficient safeguards to be 100% (or even 95%) reliable. I am also against the prsumption of guilt that seems to be pervading our free and democratic society - the assumption that you have something to hide if you refuse to carry an identity card or to take a particular test. However, I agree that in certain professions there needs to be assurance that individuals are free of intoxicants and here I accept that there may be a benefit to random testing - as long as it is made clear that it is a mandatory requirement and applies to all those involved, regardless of position. And it needs to BE random. It also needs to be supported by an understanding and fair abuse policy - not just geting rid of "problem" workers arbitrarily until all reasonable avenues have been explored (medical advice and assistance etc.). The issue in this case is not safety related - it is against 'cheating' in sport. But last night I heard on the radio that there is a campaign to "decriminalise" performance enhancing drugs so that their use can be more controlled under medical supervision and hence improve safety - driving it underground means there is greater danger of harm to the individual who lacks information, guidance and support. Contentious issue, not quite clear where I stand on that yet. Need more information myself before makinmg a decision either way, but with a bias towards maintaining a level playing field - excellence in sports should be due to ability coupled with dedication in training and tactical awareness. I find it distasteful to think that footballing heroes are adulated not because they are necessarily fine examples of athleticism, but because they have access to the best advice on how to chemically achieve optimum results. Nice thread!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 November 2003 18:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ewan Ross Working for a major company, we have in place a robust drugs and alchol policy. As such, this provides the company a method to complete testing during medicals, "with cause" testing after an incidetn/accident and random testing. It does act a a deterrant but random testing and "with cause" testing was proved benificial as individual's have "failed" or refused the test. Failure to undertake a test is a disiplinary offence and can lead to dismissal, depending on the circumstances. However, caution must be taken on this as if you use sub-contracted personnel through an agency or another company, you as a company do not have the right to dismiss a person, hence you must ensure that sub-contractors either have an identical policy of have adopted your policy via the legal contract. Hope this helps.