Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2003 21:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By mark boath can anyone help me as i am trying to implement a no mobile phone policy in the workplace,presently management and employees use them all the time in the warehouse. does anyone know of any systems or policies which would aid in the implementation
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 October 2003 23:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Miller I am not aware of any current policies on this matter. It may be helpful to approach petro-chemical industries, hospitals and petrol stations who will probably have 'no mobile phone policies' for obvious reasons. I am curious to know why you would want to ban these from your warehouse. I do realise that they can be a nusance and a distraction but unless there is some major hazard associated with your business, I can not understand the rational? seems a bit harsh. Mike
Admin  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2003 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Mark, I'm not against managers or supervisors using them and know a number of companies where they are issued - and have participated in some senior management meetings where sometimes two or three phones per person are laid out on the table. You must admit that they really are an efficient means of communication. However, I am strongly against personal phones being carried by production employees. Apart from apochryphal (means I have not seen any convincing proof) stories of explosions caused by such phones, they are a serious distraction. We all seem to have a reflex action - we absolutely must answer before the caller hangs up. And our reflexe movements can get us into some very dangerous situations. Also, they are a time waster. Personal calls should not be made or received during working time. If it is a family emergency then I would much rather that the first contact is with a supervisor who would need to know if the employee is likely to be worried or distracted from his job, or needs any help. I don't know if anyone has bitten the bullet and introduced a no phones policy but you may, unfortunately, have to wait for your first accident before you can start changing peoples minds.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 31 October 2003 10:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston There have been numerous media reports of mobile phones being the cause of explosions at petrol stations over the past few years. However the bottom line is that there are NO substantiated cases that I could find of petrol being ignited by a mobile phone, there are however a number of documented urban legends. A man who was burned when a mobile phone sitting on a bumper rang and caused an explosion; a man who received burns to his face while talking on his phone as he was pumping fuel; and a man whose phone caused a fire in the pocket of his trousers while pumping fuel. As far as the GSM Association is aware none of the media stories has ever been traced to a real event. The CEO of the Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association (CTIA) said "There is no evidence whatsoever that a mobile phone has ever caused ignition or explosion at a petrol station anywhere in the world”. The notices displayed by petrol companies and the warnings given in Mobile phone user guides have encouraged speculation. Mobile phones have been proven to distract an individuals attention, and this is not something you want while decanting a flammable liquid, hence the warnings. In August 1999, the San Francisco Chronicle published an article in which a spokesman for Motorola stated that their warning was because of the remote possibility that the battery could dislodge and cause a spark, not because of radio-transmissions. However, this is also true of other battery-powered devices such as torches, Walkman, CD players, etc. and how many individuals have small torches on their car keys? There is a miniscule, but real danger, in using a mobile phone while decanting petrol. The batteries that are used in the phone can deliver enough power to ignite petrol, diesel or liquefied petroleum vapour, and the ringer itself (usually a piezoelectric device) uses more than 100 volts for excitation. There is also a risk of the radio frequency signal inducing a current in any metal that may be nearby - a mobile phone emits a 5watt signal. So in the worst-case scenario of a fuel spill soaking an employee and then the employee’s phone ringing, a fire is theorectically possible. It might be worth considering at this point that the probability of a fire being caused by static discharges (either from the vehicle itself or the individuals clothing) is a few orders of magnitude higher than the mobile-phone scenario. The Petroleum Equipment Institute says there are many fires that have been started by flame, cigarettes, or electrical sparks, but until recently, there had not been much documentation about fires started by sparks from static electricity. In a report on their website (www.pei.org), the institute says it has collected data regarding more than 150 fires that they believe have been started by static sparking. They recommend more research, but their conclusion is that most of the fires resulted from a static discharge from the motorist. The risk of a mobile phone starting a fire is not significant, however, mobile phones (like many other pieces of electrical equipment) are not intrinsically safe. Therefore they should not be taken into “zoned” areas. Their use in other areas must be at the discretion of line management. Managers must take into consideration that the unexpected ring of a mobile may distract an individual involved in hazardous work. As most of our employees work with lathes and other hazardous equipment, we have introduce a no-mobile phone policy. Shane
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 October 2003 14:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Hello Mark, We don't allow mobile phones or other personal items e.g. handbags, lunchboxes etc. in production departments - maybe you could come at it from this point of view and provide lockers for coats, handbags, etc so there would be no reason for them to carry a mobile phone? Someone dandering round a warehouse talking on a mobile phone would not be looking out for forklift trucks. I was in the chip shop last night and saw a girl trying to grate cheese and send a text message at the same time - she was holding the grater down with the heel of her left hand/side of her wrist whilst holding the phone in her left hand and using her left thumb to press the buttons, while she grated the cheese with her right hand. Stupid really. Regards, Karen
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 November 2003 22:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor If you are going to introduce a rule of this 'severity' and hope to be able to enforce it, you will need a strong case based upon health and safety reasons. People are more likely to obey a rule if it clearly makes sense or is clearly to their advantage. I have only gone as far as generally banning them for those in control of moving vehicles, working at height or operating plant or machinery and expect and understand task-specific bans for explosive atmospheres, handling chemicals and the like. Will management really follow up with disciplinary action for those who do not observe your mobile phone ban when they clearly do not see the reason to refrain from using them themselves?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 02 November 2003 16:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould I personally would spend more time showing peple how to record a (Im busy greeting please leave a message or (in emergency text me). The majority of phones that, as you put it, people must answer is due to the fact they know little about answer phone and text services yet alone switching of a ringer. I would agree with what has been said about distraction and some needs for total bans in high risk areas . The problem comes when in medium or low risk areas its harder to convince the everyday person of the risk. Maybe a no ringer or vibration policy may be more employee freindly and easier to enforce. Today more & more people are dependant on their mobiles for everyday things, appointments etc. To deprive someone of the ability to resolve these minor issues for eight hours a day is a little unfair.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 02 November 2003 18:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick Mark In the event of a serious incident effective communications are paramount. We need to make a lot of internal and external calls, there are also many important calls coming in. In these situations either the telephonist or the exchange become "swamped" and unable to handle the volume of calls. Key people dealing with such incidents, in the early stages are rarely in their offices, so are not near their phones. We should recognise that mobiles do have down sides to them but mobile phones are invaluable in any serious incident. They should be considered in any Emergency / Disaster Plan. Steve
Admin  
#9 Posted : 02 November 2003 20:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Essex Would appear this is a HR not H&S issue.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 02 November 2003 21:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick Andy It is a very important H&S issue but HR should play a part in the discussions leading to a company policy. People considering such a ban must consider the how important communications are when dealing with serious incidents. I am emphasising this point because I have had the experience where mobile phones played a key role in post incident management. Mobile phones can be invaluable, but they do ned to be controlled Steve
Admin  
#11 Posted : 03 November 2003 07:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Why does the term 'luddite' spring to mind?
Admin  
#12 Posted : 03 November 2003 12:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson What did we do before mobiles were a 'gucci' attachement? Does an employer have the right to ban the use of 'personal' mobiles in the work place? Conversely does the employee have the right to use them during 'working hours for personal reasons?' There must be a common ground where they are acceptable and in certain work areas where they are not, either on safety or security grounds! Its like smoking at work, ban it and it goes underground, how you going to check that a person does not have the phone on silent? can't search them only the Police can do that! We could of course lobby Parliament and get the workplace regs ammended so that the employer has to provide an area free for mobile phone users to go and use their phone so as not to contaminate the office environment for non-mobile users, claim for passive-radiation and depression coming up here! Oops got to go me mate has just texed me!!!
Admin  
#13 Posted : 04 November 2003 09:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Oliver hi Mark, just a quick one for you. i currently work as a safety advisor within the construction industry and have found that GLEESON construction services have a mobile phone ban on all there sites except in offices and canteens. this rule was as a response of a fatality involving an employee whilst using a mobile. the employee was distracted and was caught in the path of a forklift truck which did not have clear visibility. i visit gleeson sites quite a lot and admit that not being able to answer my phone does not pose a major problem. GLEESON seem to be implementing this poicy quite well. i think that in a fast moving environment such as warehouse it is deemed quite appropriate to ban the use of mobiles.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 04 November 2003 09:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Oliver hi mark, after having viewed some of the responses, i thought i would post another message. considering that this forum is open for "Safety Professionals" to discuss issues such as yours, i am quite appallled at some of the comments that have been made. what most people seem to missing, is that as part of any safety managment system you must have measures in place to reduce / eliminate risk and manage identifable hazards within the workplace. we are not here or employed to be company policemen / women, having rules and procedures in place means having the active participation of all the workforce (i do belive that HASWA mentions this somewhere!). you are right to tackle this subject in order to ensure you eliminate the hazard and reduce the level of risk by providing the right level of information aimed at shopfloor workers and employees alike.i would deem being called a luddite by another safety proffesional not very proactive or constructive at all.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 04 November 2003 11:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Paul wrote: 'I would deem being called a luddite by another safety proffesional (sic) not very proactive or constructive at all.' The word 'luddite' sprang to mind because a number of contributors to the thread appear to be advocating a total ban on mobile phones in the workplace. As has been said by other contributors the problem requires managing - managing doesn't automatically mean a total ban as some seem to think. Mobile phones are one of the most useful forms of communications there is, and some of these communications are essential to run an effective business. If we go along this line of thinking that we will ban everything that has a risk then that is totally impracticable in the world we live in, and more importantly it isn't management, it's a knee jerk reaction. To the contributor who talked about a fatality caused by an unsighted FLT driver - I assume other measures were put in place to reduce the likelihood in the future, other than just banning phones? Geoff
Admin  
#16 Posted : 04 November 2003 14:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Paul, Remember mate that the a lot of people who ask questions and even contribute are not safety people as I have found out. What you get here is an input from safety people but also non safety as well, ie the general public from throughout the Globe and some of the responses may be a 'personal opinion' and not based on Safety Reasoning.
Admin  
#17 Posted : 04 November 2003 17:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Im not a safety profesional, Just a mere student of the dark arts. As others have said were not all profesionals and also come from a wide variety of backgrounds. This is what makes this subject so appealing at times. I still, being in my early thirties (agism) have worked as a production worker and many other jobs. (just seem to get bored after 6 months). Low risk and high risk, been their done that & wore the T shirt. Had my accidents, Ignored safety rules blah blah you get the picture. Lets look at the original posting for a moment, If memory is correct the poster asked our comments on the subject. We have all contributed. This may not be what the poster or other postees expect but at least it gives a bigger picture of the implications with the proposed company rule. I have learned from each contribution (especially so when looking up "LUDDITE" hehehehe)even added my own little argument with the proposed ban. Folks lets get real in the real world Like it or not their is a THEM & US relationship between management and workers. If these proposed bans are not discussed indepth with the workforce then resistance will no doubt arise. I suppose the simple reasoning would be down to the following points 1.Discussion/consultation 2.risk assessment, 3.Information about the findings 4.training where needed 5.monitoring/enforcing/review How far would I get as a forklift driver in the real world if I stuck by speed resrictions? Some of you will well know I would be sacked within a week from most companies. Its a twisted world.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 06 November 2003 13:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Being a 'Them'you must be 'aving a bubble' all good organisations have good open channels of communication and consultation and agrement, any who don't quite frankly dont deserve to survive.