Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 November 2003 08:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray I apologise for starting another new thread on this subject. Following on from the previous discussion topics on mobile phones. We have received notification from a company in Gloucestershire that they have been advised not to fit hands free kits in vehicles as it would effect their insurance and that the company might not be covered if their policy is to permit employees to use the phones whilst driving. Therefore, check with you insurance company to see what they are prepared to accept for cover before you draw up your company policy, it might also assist in convincing the directors if they found out that they were not going to get insurance cover.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 November 2003 10:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft Martin I have spoken to our insurers and they are not aware of any problem with the fitting and use of hands-free kits to vehicles, in fact their policy is to fit them to their vehicles (????). I have emailed the question to Directline and I'm waiting for their response. I realise that for confidentiality reasons you can't name the company in question, but could you let us have the name of the insurance company who have taken this stand point?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 November 2003 13:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray Ian Unfortunately the company concerned have not given us the name of their insurers. We just felt it prudent to just flag this up. We have been in touch with our police insurers Zurich and they are not putting any restriction on use and have not heard of any company doing so but there are 166 underwriters for vehicle insurance in this country. I am putting this to the Association of British Insurers to see if they have any comment.