Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 November 2003 14:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ian mcnally Hi, A lunchtime question for you? I would be most interested if anyone is aware of any legal requirements or planning guidance on time delay for pedestrian lights. I frequently use one to cross a busy road and the time delay from hitting the button to the lights changing seems excessively long. Whilst I’m not quite so sad as to time it, I have often crossed over after pressing the button since the road became clear for a while and then watched motorists stop for nothing. Some kids find this quite a good source of entertainment. The real concern is seeing others just ignore the crossing and running across. I know a few people have been struck by cars in this particular place. If the lights changed to red within a few seconds and had a minimum time gap between each sequence I feel sure they would serve both Pedestrians and motorists more effectively. I suspect someone out there will point out what I have missed or maybe provide me some useful information that will enable me to bring this issue to the attention of the LA. Hope you can help Ian
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 November 2003 15:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft I don't know the answer to this question Ian, but I too have nad the same thoughts. There is a solution to this with the "Puffin" crossing, this type of crossing will not change the lights to red if there isn't a pedestrian stood waiting to cross.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 November 2003 15:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould I suppose the delay may have something to do with composing yourself before crossing and not falling into a habit of pressing and crossing at the same time.(especially so where kids are concerned) Just a guess, I used to love that game of pressing button and waiting who got caught hehehehehehe