Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 November 2003 20:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe Ridley
Hi there,

I am currently reviewing our safety policy and have to provide a report to senior managers highlighting any weak areas relating to the implementation of the policy, now as this may involve the senior managers, I would like to ask if anyone has done this before and if so, how did you approach this and what way did you present the information to the management.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Joe
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 November 2003 22:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne
Joe,

A question. Have you formally audited the implementation of your health and safety policy? If so, use the results of the audit to put together a short (senior managers won't read pages and pages of H&S stuff) report.

In addition, take the bones of the report and put some key points on a short powerpoint presentation so that you can generate some debate rather than have everyone just sat there reading from a document.

Hope this helps.

Paul Craythorne
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 November 2003 23:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe Ridley
Hi,

I have not actually carried out an audit as such, I just read through it and identified areas where I believed it was weak based on knowledge I have of how the company operates and the sites it covers (it is a leisure trust I work for. If you have any suggestions for auditing the policy then I would be grateful for any information you could pass on.

Cheers

Joe
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 November 2003 00:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne
Joe,

Can I assume that we are not just talking about a policy statement of intent here and that it contains the responsibilities and arrangements for implementation?

I would carry out the audit as I would for any health and safety, environmental or indeed quality document. You need to test that the things you say are going to be done within your policy are actually being done.

This may involve auditing some supplementary procedures or inerviewing individuals with responsibility for carrying out the requirements of the policy.

The depth to which you go will be determined by the nature and scale of your operations and the content within your policy.

Do you have a copy of HS(G) 65 or OHSAS18002? You will find some valuable information on auditing H&S systems in these publications.

Hope this is of further help.

Regards,

Paul Craythorne
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 November 2003 15:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe Ridley
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the input. Yes I am looking at the whole document and do have a copy of HSG 65, so I'll go and have a look at that, in the meantime, thanks again.

Cheers

Joe
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 November 2003 16:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith
Joe,

If you are reviewing your Safety Policy and Safety Management System, it is worth getting hold and reading the IOSH Guidance Document ‘System in Focus’.

This you can get free from http://www.iosh.co.uk/in...echnical.resources&cid=1
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 November 2003 20:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan
Joe

If you want to do a quick desktop audit of your policy, against the HSG65 standard you can download a free audit question set from our website;

http://www.web-safety.com/pdffiles/freeaudit.PDF

Good luck with it

Ciaran

ciaran@web-safety.com
Admin  
#8 Posted : 14 November 2003 11:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe Ridley
Thanks for your help

Cheers

Joe
Admin  
#9 Posted : 14 November 2003 19:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson
I normally present this sort of thing as a table, like a summary audit report, with columns headed Issues, Recommendations, Progess/Response, Responsibility and Target/Complete. This gives them not just the information but also a tool to use to address the issues raised.