Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 November 2003 13:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bruce
Seeking advice on demolition, a subject I know very little about.

The scenario is, that a member of staff working in a small authority controlled play centre has asked me whether or not it is safe to continue operations during demolition of a nearby tower block.

I have made a site visit and I must confess I'm a little concerned for a number of reasons:

1. The authority, and more importantly, the manager of the playcentre has not been consulted with regard to safety during the planning stages of this work.

2. The boundary fence of the demolition site is approx. 1m from the playcentre boundary fence. A structure (sub station) forms part of the boundary fence to the demolition site and this is being protected from impact by erection of a scaffold shield structure incorporating straw bales to absorb shock.
The playcentre building is approx. 10m from the demolition site boundary and approx 20m from the tower block being demolished.

3. The contractor is planning to use a "concrete muncher" to form a significant part of the demolition process (I'm assuming this a vehicle with a hydraulic jib and jaws). His method statement (the only paperwork I've seen) mentions uneven/unstable ground - I'm worried this could topple and strike the building.

I'd be grateful of any expertise/advice on this such as minimum distance between occupied areas and demolition sites of this nature (large residential tower block approx 14 floors), what sorts of hazards, control measure should I be looking for to demonstrate suitability and sufficiency when I view the risk assessments etc - I'm meeting the Planning Supervisor and Principal Contractor next week.

Any help will be gratefully received, I have no experience of demolition at all and would like to appear at least a little clued up when I attend the meeting. At the moment I'm considering recommending that the playcentre be closed for the duration of the works, but don't want to "knee jerk".

Thanks in advance.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 November 2003 14:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Lightbody
Ian

From the limited info available, the risk from the adjacent demolition site would appear to present a very significant risk to the employees and visitors to the Centre. Accordingly, the Centre should close for at least part of the major demolition works to protect the aforementioned.

BS6187- Code of Practice for demolition classifies the demolition site as 'a detached building in a confined site' and rule of thumb suggests that a distance twice the height of the building to be demolished is the safe zone.

The major concern is obviously unintentional and uncontrolled collapse during works or toppling of plant into your site and competent and experience contractors employing a safe system of work will overcome this concern.

However, falling debris, dust, noise,vibration, fire etc must also be considered. Control measures can be put in place by all, however, in my experience undoubtedly noise and dust from the works will have a major impact on your premises.

In Scotland we have to obtain a Demolition Warrant from Building Control before any works commence. The project also falls within CDM Regs and is notifiable to HSE with all the necessary H&S Plans,Type 3 asbestos report and associated risk assessments and Method Statements being incorporated before works commence.

The owner of the sub-station will also have to give consent before any work is carried out around the equipment to prevent electrical accidents.

Given your employment position, I would suggest you speak to your Building Control Dept who can give you guidance or if the Council have a pet demolition contractor, I am sure they can give you chapter and verse and no doubt point out the failings of the Principal Contractor and assist you for the meeting.

Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2003 14:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By andrew nigel harris
A notice of intended demolition under the Building Act 1984 must be served to the Local council who will send out a section 81 notice specifying the conditions of demolition

Under general note 3 the demolition contractor must give notice to the occupier of any adjacent buildings

I would suggest If you are not informed of the above and any demolition takes place you should have an emergency plan in place
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 November 2003 19:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I support everything said above. Are you sure that the authority hasn't been informed by notice and not appreciated its significance to the site? I would want to speak to both the local authority and the HSE if in the position of the person to which you refer as well as seeking assurance and action from the Principal Contractor to provide physical protection, dust suppression, etc, etc as should be found within a safe system of work.