Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 November 2003 14:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anita Parkinson Are all self employed persons required to hold public liability insurance. we have a gentleman working as maintenance fitter/handyman etc, he is self employed and is with us nearly full time, Can we demand a copy of his insurance policy. Help is required please, I'm not too clued up on public liability, All help gratefully recived. Thanks in advance Anita
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 November 2003 15:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee Public liability is discretional employers liability insurance is compulsory.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 November 2003 23:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow Anita I have emailed you some information direct. Hope it helps. Regards David B
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 November 2003 08:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft Public liability insurance is not compulsory but it would be a very brave or very foolish person who operated without it in this compensation cultured society. However, your company would be quite within their rights to insist that any contractor working for them has adequate PL cover. Our organisation asks for £10 million PL cover.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 November 2003 20:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt We had a similar situation with a client. If the handyman works for you 'nearly full time' and is under the control of the company, he would almost certainly be considered to be an employee in any court case. I would suggest you include him on your company policy - it didn't cost any extra in the case above.