Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2003 11:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Vicky Pye Does anyone have any experience of conductng a risk assessment within a photography darkroom? I work at a college with a photography department. The technician within the area is mixing powder chemicals within the darkroom, we do have an extraction system however, i think he should be provided with some form of respiratory protection as well. Would you agree ?? Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2003 11:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Hydes Vicky, Having spent over 30 years, in and out of darkrooms, I may be of some use!! Your risk assessment must include a COSHH Assessment on the chemicals being mixed.The Data sheets and the EH40 book will help you with the OEL's and MEL's. Don't forget the hazards of working in coloured safelighting, or if doing colour work, total darkness;close proximity of water and electricity etc. Hope this has been of use.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2003 12:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Vicky Have you tried putting the details of your darkroom operations through e-coshh essentials? The web address is www.coshh-essentials.org.uk. Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 November 2003 22:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson Do as Paul says, but I'd just like to say that you should not need respiratory protection if the ventilation performs well enough. When you look at COSHH Essentials, I just want to make sure you're aware that there are respiratory sensitisers involved, especially in developers. I expect your main protection should be in specifying and maintaining really effective ventilation.