Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2003 14:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Leon Zacharow
Recently the landlord at one of our buildings has re-surfaced the car park and has managed to squeeze in 15 more spaces by making the bays smaller. This has resulted in our employees damaging their car doors when getting out of their cars. A couple of them have also fallen over when squeezing out of the car.

I don't know if there are any publications around that gives the recommended dimensions of car parking spaces, but if anyones can direct me to something I could look at I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks

Leon
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2003 14:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
Leon,

I don't have the number but there is a British Standard which gives the dimensions
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2003 15:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
According to the Institution of Highway Engineers, it is 2.4m wide by 4.8m long, or 6m long if entered from the side. Disabled bays should be at least 3.6m wide, or for bays entered from the side at least 6.6m long. However, check with your local authority planning department as they will have a minimum standard, which may have applied to the original planning consent for your premises.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 November 2003 18:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil.D.Baptiste
BS 8300, gives good stuff on DDA, remodling and new builds also