Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2003 14:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip Roberts Can anyone tell me what gases are evolved apart from hydrogen when charging alkaline(potassium hydroxide) batteries. Are any special precautions required and is it safe to allow people to continue to work near the charging batteries. Regards Phil Roberts
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2003 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Phil Have you tried asking the battery manufacturer? They will surely be the best source of advice. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 November 2003 13:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Oliver phil, it may be worth purchasing the follwoing british standard if this is a predominat area of your operartion: BS 6132:1983 Code of practice for safe operation of alkaline secondary cells and batteries. in the meantime i would implement the follwoing control measures: no smoking / no naked flames within area eye protection to be worn in work area enusre batteries are charged in a suitbaly ventilated area. if placed on a table or unit, then i would install a rubber matting on the surface area. basically adopt the controls encounterd with charging lead acid batteries until further infomartion is obtained from manufacturers or from current BS.