Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2003 15:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lorraine Dyer I would be grateful for any advice on the following. Am I right in assuming that a home worker is defined as anyone who is employed to work from home rather than someone who choses to work from home occasionally? Is there any stipulation on the number of hours you have to work before you can be defined as a home worker (e.g part time workers)
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2003 16:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Lorraine - The HSE's IND(G)226(L)although old (1996) defines homeworkers as "Those people employed to work at home for an employer" As such hours do not come into it.The risk assessment requirements of legislation remain the same but must include members of the household including children and visitors.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 November 2003 18:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson I would avoid definitions like this - if someone does significant work at home then apply the appropriate controls.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 November 2003 13:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson If the persons normal place of work where they report for work, is at the 'home' rather than at the company office then a 'home worker', doesnt everyone do occasionaly work at home but not necessarilly be a 'home worker'. See hse guidance leaflet, free.