Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2003 15:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston
We have several elected "representatives of employee safety", and quite a number of Trade Union Safety Reps. Trouble is a significant proportion of the TU Reps have stated that they do not want non-TU appointed Reps attending Safety meetings (don't ask why .. very militant bunch). They have also stated that they will represent ALL employees, not just their own members.

Reg 3 of the H&S Consultation with Employees Regs requires the employer to consult those employees not covered by a TU. So if the TUs have agreed to cover ALL employees then these Regs are not relevant. Can we then go on to elect "representatives of employee safety", and if so who do they represent?

Shane.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2003 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Shane

Hadn't you better ask the non-union members if they are willing to be represented by the union reps? If not, then you must still have arrangements in place to consult them separately from the TU side (whether through RESs or by other means).

Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 November 2003 16:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston
If the non-TU employees do not wish to be represented by the TU, then I suppose it would be unethical to force them to be represented by a TU, especially as they have no power to elect a different TU Rep (not being a member)?

I think this is the line I will take.

Before I get bombarded by TU Reps ... I have nothing against Unions or the majority of our Reps. I used to be a member for 13 years but left when I joined my current employer as they seem to uphold the "them and us" attitude. At a recent Safety Meeting four TU reps stated that they did not want the non-TU reps present and that we should only be consulting with TU. What sort of a 1950's militant attitude is that.

Shane
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 November 2003 17:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kieran Dowling
The TU reps are quite correct. If they're prepared to represent non-members, there's no duty on the employer under the 1996 Regs to consult them separately. The 1996 Regs were only brought in to cover non-unionised workplaces. So why make it difficult for yourself?

In any case who, by definition, in unionised workplaces can these non-union ROES represent?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 November 2003 17:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kieran Dowling
Analogous to my reply above, if the union negotiates pay for all employees and non-members receive the same awards, I presume you don't also involve non-members in the bargaining arrangements. So what's the difference here?

What's wrong with being militant anyway?

Kieran
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 November 2003 18:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Shane

Surely the non-unionised employees must be part of the decision as to how they should be represented?

If the TU reps can't stand being in the same room as the RESs, hold separate meetings.

Paul
Admin  
#7 Posted : 21 November 2003 18:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson
What's wrong with being militant? Please tell me that was a joke!

As usual I have to agree with Paul's horse sense above. The union cannot choose to represent non-members - the employer must find out what non-members of the union want. It's really not that big a deal to find out what people want. The union reps have no right to refuse to share the table with other reps, and I would fight hard to avoid having to separate the 2 consultation forums, as you will still somehow have to reach a consensus on some issues if you want the committees to have any use. Otherwise you won't be complying with the law because consultation won't be effective.

What's wrong with being reasonable anyway?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 21 November 2003 19:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Charles Robinson
Shane

The impotant issue is that employees are represented by trained health and safety reps, with Union appointed representatives the responsibility for training rests with the union and is TUC approved. With RESs the responsibility falls on the employer and is seldom as good as that provided by unions
and through varying degrees of apathy end up as managment appointees which could leave employees at risk while in none union work places this may be the only effective way of consultation.

Charles
Admin  
#9 Posted : 22 November 2003 00:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
The new regs will probably give the same functions to non TU reps (eg attending safety committees) which might make the position clearer.

Admin  
#10 Posted : 22 November 2003 19:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Sedgwick
Shane
It’s a shame when political agendas are fought on the back of H&S, but it does happen and you have my sympathy mate.

I am sure that we all agree that it is a necessary part of good H&S Management to have worker involvement and consultation on all H&S issues.

I don’t know how you are going to get the message through to this "militant bunch" that they are diverting everyone’s effort away from important H&S issues to have this political inspired disruption.

The more worker involvement we have the better.

Steve
Admin  
#11 Posted : 22 November 2003 19:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Willian Holbrook
As the sole Union safety rep(for the Hgv Drivers within the company)i sit on the H&S committee along with eight non union reps. The problem would seem to be By my experience, is that the non union reps are often appointed by the employer and are not that well trained. The union coarse i undertook involved a four-week full time coarse in all aspects of health and safety. Of the non union reps none has received any formal training with the exception of three hours general induction. This is a matter they often complain about, and as well as asking myself many questions on H&S matters they wish to raise I have often carried out risk assessments and other work for then. Having said that we all get along well together and I certainly would not want them removed, just better trained, as I know they would like to be. Perhaps this is the basis of the problem raised.Bill Holbrook
Admin  
#12 Posted : 24 November 2003 08:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston
Our Representatives of Employee Safety (RES) are elected by the employees and are not appointed by management. They are asked to get the NEBOSH Cert as a minimum and we actively encourage them to obtain NVQ3 H&S qualifications. So you can undertand why I am concerned that the TU do not want the RES at the meetings. The question remains, can the employer, if the TU have said they will represent ALL employees, still go on to elect RES even if the H&S Consultation with Employee Regs do not apply?

Why, on H&S grounds, would the TU not want RES present at meetings? One can only assume the reason is political and has nothing to do with protecting an employees H&S.

Shane.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 24 November 2003 09:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Shane

The question you should be asking is 'who manages the business - management or the unions?' and I still say that it is up to the employees to say who should be representing their interests in health and safety matters.

Paul
Admin  
#14 Posted : 24 November 2003 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston
Paul,

I agree with you, but I know the Unions are going to push this issue. As far as the Unions are concerned ALL employees already have representation, and so the RES should not have been introduced? In short .... if the TU state the will represent ALL employees, can we legally turn round and say "NO you only represent your members"

Obviously the same individual can't be represented by both TU and Non-TU Reps ... imaging the meeting "my members want A" ... "well my members want B" .... but the members are the same people!!

Shane.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 24 November 2003 09:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kieran Dowling
It's not a question of who runs the business. That's the type of response I'd expect from a management consultant and harks back to the bad old days of Thatcherism i.e "management's right to manage" etc.

From a union rep's standpoint, it is galling that people who contribute nothing towards the organisations that secure pay and conditions improvements for all staff still benefit from unions' negotiations.

Would IOSH members take kindly to non-members receiving the same benefits that membership brings without forking out a penny?

That's the real moral issue.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 24 November 2003 10:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Kieran

I was just stirring the pot as I think that this is an important issue that should be generating more comment.

In an ideal world, everybody in a business woud be pulling in the same direction but we know that, in many organisations, H & S is used as just another stick with which to beat the management.

I return to my original point that it is not up to the unions to decide who they choose to represent but that it is up to the non-union employees to choose who will represent them.

Paul
Admin  
#17 Posted : 24 November 2003 10:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston

Again I agree that it should be up to the individual to state who represents them. But in practice this does not happen on all issues. Pay and conditions are only consulted with the Unions in many organisations. As a non-union member I have no say over pay & conditions. If I want a say I have to pay membership. How this is legal I don't know .... how can a employer change my terms and conditions by consulting with someone who may not represent my views, and whom I have not power elect, as I am not a member.

However, it is up to the Employer to decide who he consults with on Pay & Conditions. But this is not the case for H&S, the employer has a legal obligation to consult with ALL employees. So if the Union sattes they will represent all emplyees, can the non-member vote on Union H&S issues, and can he vote on appointment as a TU H&S Rep (and if he could what would happen if the elected Rep was not a TU Member). If the non-member can't vote, how can the TU state they represent the view of ALL employees.

Shane
Admin  
#18 Posted : 24 November 2003 12:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Its interesting that you say this, I have worked where there is more that one union and with non-union RES in the same H&S meeting and it really can be quite comical where the reps from different unions want differing things and oppose each other and the RES disagree with them both.

As the Safety Manager diplomacy and communication can get you out, but biting my tongue whilst tryning not to get really frustrated (laughing!) inside is quite difficult.

Are we as H&S Professionals and TU and non TU not after the same thing! A safe and healthy working environment which maximises company profit for the betterment of all concerned.

Safely sweating your assets! Gis a job!
Admin  
#19 Posted : 24 November 2003 12:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gilly Margrave
Hi Shane,
The fine detail of the relevant regs has already been posted on a thread started on 12/9/03 headed H&S Committees. I do find it a bit disappointing that there are still people out there that assume that anyone from the TUs who applies the regs as they are rather than how they would like them to be is a "militant".If you feel that the TU Reps are not taking the views of non-members into account perhaps you could raise this with them in a reasonable non-confrontational way.
It will be interesting to see what the representation ConDoc has to say not only in terms of Safety Committees but also in relation to TU Workplace Safety Advisors.
As a TU Branch H&S Officer I unsually regard the management side H&S professionals as valued colleagues and sometimes think the great divide is H&S v the rest of the world rather than TU v Management.
Gilly
Admin  
#20 Posted : 24 November 2003 13:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston
Gilly,

Don't get me wrong, I also believe that we are all working towards the same goal. I have worked for an organisation where management, union and RES worked very well in partnership. However, if we all share the same goal why do some (not all) of our TU Reps want to exclude RES from consultation? What possible reason could they have for this? Strange that the RES don't feel the same way, they are quite happy to work with the TU Reps. If TU Reps and RES can't work together, what hope have we of getting Reps and Management to work together?

I realy do value the views of all employees. It's not that I don't believe a TU Rep can't represent non-members, but in our case a significant number of employees do not want to be represented by the TU Reps and have elected their own RES. Regardless of personal views, can I turn round and tell the Unions that they only represent their members, and thus alow me to keep our elected RES and continue consultation and participation of all employees in the normal manner?

Shane
Admin  
#21 Posted : 24 November 2003 14:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Crump
Shane

Have you tried to ascertain the reasons why certain trade union safety reps do not want the representatives of employee safety to attend meetings? I would also like to expand on this thread by asking the question: what are the benefits of having representatives of employee safety in unionised workplaces?.

Admin  
#22 Posted : 24 November 2003 16:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steven John Nelson
I respond as a H&S Advisor, whose career and interest in all things H&S started -a few years ago now- as a UNISON H&S Representative and Branch H&S Officer.
Employee involvement is an essential ingredient of effective H&S management, and how best to faciltiate this differs from workplace to workplace. HSE have produced an excellent leaflet highlighting the relationship between "appointed" H&S reps & REOS, namely INDG 232, available free on their website. When I was a Branch H&S Officer we didn't have REOS, and [we] trade unions agreed with the employer to represent the interests of all employees within designated "workplace constituencies" across the entire organisation (+1000 employees). Effective & joint consultation arrangements were in place which meant that all employes could make a contribution to a decision of H&S management, if they wanted, either using the trade union route/fora or consultation post boxes (much like that used by HSC).
What matters at the end of the day is that employees can contribute to H&S decisions, raise concerns regards perceived shortcomings in H&S arrangements -see legal duties in MHSW Regs 99-, and have those concerns received in a postive manner by the employer - so that continual improvement can be delivered for the benefit of all.
Admin  
#23 Posted : 24 November 2003 17:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Patrick Teyhan
Shane, to further stir the pot regarding this one. (I do like that expression)I am with Kieron and Gilly on this.

It is for the Unions to organise themselves whether there be one or two in negotiations with management on the undertakings of the employer and the effect on the working life of employees.

If an agreement exists that non union members are represented by TU reps what is the problem?

The non members are getting the equivilant of watching (Colour)(satelite)(Cable)Television without having to pay the television licence! If they want a say they should pay their licences!

No one can stop them from joining and being representated by a body of professionals with untold support at their disposal. I have not herd of an employers representative body that has been reported to have cut work related deaths by (is it over)50% in the last 25 years?

Working for the Civil Service as I do, representing not only members but non-members under the Whitley Mechanism for Industrial Relations, the two separate unions involved have a structure in place that provide for a "TU line" so as not to be seen arguing in front of management.

What would a non elected representative bring to the table who would they agree not to argue in front of with?

Management have a difficult enough time of it in most TU recognised places of work as accredited TU representatives are likely to be on the ball.

The inclusion of Non union representatives at safety meetings is a decision to be undertaken by the Safety Committee, which in fact would have been requested, arranged and complied with under the SRSC regs.

I for one, who represents all members of staff, would feel agrieved to the management side putting / placing an untrained stooge / quisling in place, I would believe them to be there for the purpose of disrupting proceedings through lack of knowledge, being particularly difficult through some sort of secret agenda / remit to undermine the safety committee.

Regards

Patrick

Keep the faith, Brother!

Admin  
#24 Posted : 25 November 2003 10:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston
Patrick,

"If an agreement exists that non union members are represented by TU reps what is the problem" ... well what if the Non-TU employees (who may well be the majority) don't agree with the view of the TU? The only way they can change anything is to become a member of the TU and pay their subscription. If you don't like the view of your MP, you can vote for someone else ... and you don't have to pay to do so!

As for your "What would a non elected representative bring to the table who would they agree not to argue in front of with?" Why should it matter if the TU and Non-TU Reps can't agree a united front. Why are you worried about another point of view?

As for your "I for one, who represents all members of staff, would feel agrieved to the management side putting / placing an untrained stooge ..." Managemnet do not "Put" these individuals in place, they are elected by the employees, our RES are trained in H&S more than some of the TU Reps, they have no secret agenda and no party line.

Again I ask why would the TU not want RES present at the meetings? What are they afraid of?

Shane.
Admin  
#25 Posted : 25 November 2003 12:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Patrick,

'Its for the unions to organise themselves etc' not organise everyone else because they dont pay into someones coffers!

Think the point is here forget the SRSC regs and the CWER if you have both in the workforce you have to comply with both, do you really want to double the effort of committees etc with differing outcomes and be in the position of differing safety standards for differing groups! They are both entitled to the same standard, union recognised or not!

Think the point here isnt about 'non - elected reps sitting around a table with TU Reps and the employer' its about working together or are the TU afraid that they will lose some of their H&S power in the workplace?

Just to balance the conspiracy theorists argument to 'stir the pot' so to speak.
Admin  
#26 Posted : 25 November 2003 16:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kieran Dowling
In reply to Dave Wilson's last posting, as I said earlier in the this thread, under the SRSC Regs there's no duty on the employer to consult non-union reps, management stooges or quislings separately where TUs are recognised. The 1996 Regs simply don't apply, therefore no duplication necessary.

Admin  
#27 Posted : 25 November 2003 18:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Patrick Teyhan
Shane, to keep the "pot stirred",

In response, Candidates (or parties) for election to the office of Member of Parliament are not legislatively bound to keep electoral promises, they are often put up for election (by party chiefs) in constituencies that they are likely to have a sucessful outcome due to their backgrounds or aspirations not cos the people who live in that constituency have put the candidate forward. Apologies the Socialist Alliance do this in my neck of the woods.

Having no secret agenda is a good thing.

Having no party line! Rather Stalinistic in my view!

"One is unanimous in this", as Mrs Slocum from are you being served would say.

In all seriousness if the non tu representatives want a place on the workplace safety committee, ask the safety committee to include them.

Dave, good to hear from you again.

Seems like the non tu representatives are causing Shane more grief than those elected to representing their members interests, what do you think?

Kieran, keep the faith,
Admin  
#28 Posted : 25 November 2003 18:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gilly Margrave
Are we getting a little confused around the word "consultation"? I don't think anyone would deny the right of any worker (TU or non-TU) to raise matters of concern with their manager (and that doesn't just go for matters relating to H&S)and I would expect managers to pass those concerns to the relevant management representative on the Safety Committee.There are already non-TU reps on Safety Committees - they are called the management.(although quite a few of my members are management)
When it comes to the issue of Safety Committees we are talking about the formal consultation process where ideally there should be equal voices for management and TUs. The presence of non-TU reps can upset this balance as neither side can be completely sure who they are representing. TU representatives would not accept non-union worker representatives in the collective bargaining situation so I am not sure why they should in H&S Consultation.

Gilly
Admin  
#29 Posted : 25 November 2003 19:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Pearson
I normally manage to bite my tongue on this forum but I have to say I'm ashamed if my profession has anything to do with that of Kieran above.

Kieran, your last post contradicted the previous one by Dave Wilson, who was promoting reasonableness and a joint effort. He also rightly said that employers with a mix of unionised and non-unionised workers must comply with both sets of Regs.

To argue against these points shows your ignorance of both the law and of how good organisations work. Your approach can't possibly help anyone you represent.
Admin  
#30 Posted : 25 November 2003 19:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gilly Margrave
And I thought it was women who were meant to be bitchy! I think you need a good TU Officer in this forum to maintain good order and fair play!
On a more serious note Steven was quite right to draw you attention to indg232 notably the bit which says:
"If an employer recognises a trade union and that trade union has appointed,or is about to appoint,safety representatives under the SRSCR 1977,then the employer must consult those safety representatives on matters affecting the group or groups of employees they represent.Members of these groups of employees may include people who are not members of that trade union."
The important thing is that the TU has agreed to represent non-members. I do know some TU Reps who have a problem with this as they object to TU resources being used for the benefit of non-members (remember the TUC puts a lot of resources into training Reps and at the end of the day that is members' money). Personally I have no problem representing non-members on H&S issues although I would not go so far as to represent individual non-members if they chose to take the grievance rather that the negotiated route.
The difficulty arises where the TU Reps have not agreed to represent non-members and management have to find a mechanism to consult those workers which the TUs have refused to represent.However I am not entirely convinced that the Safety Committee is the appropriate mechanism.
Gilly
Admin  
#31 Posted : 26 November 2003 09:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have obtained advice from both the HSE and a Union:

HSE: The duty to consult is on the employer, not the TUs. As long as the employer can demonstrate that he is consulting all employees he is satisfying his legal duty. The employer can, if he so wishes, tell the unions that they only represent their members, and that he will consult non-members under the 1996 Regs. The HSE also advise employers to check that if TUs state they will represent/consult all employees, that the TUs actualy do this in practice. I have just checked and found several e-mails from TU Reps on H&S issues which they have only sent to their members for comment. Even though they state they represent/consult all employees, in practice they are not.

Union: TUs can represent all employees, including non-members, but can't force the employer to accept the offer to represent non-members.

One must also remember that the employer can turn round an tell the TU that they only represent their members, and ROES will be elected to cover the rest. If this were the case then there may be a reduction in TU Rep numbers.

Before I get inundated, this is not the route I want to take ... I'd rather TU and non-TU reps co-operated and worked toward a common goal. Having spoken to the site that has a ROES, it appears that a significant number of employees (who elected him in the first place) want to keep him rather than be represented by TU.

Again, I ask why would the TU not want ROES present at meetings? It must be political as I can't see any related H&S reason.

Shane.
Admin  
#32 Posted : 26 November 2003 12:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kieran Dowling
Neil Pearson in his last but one posting accused me of "ignorance of both the law and of how good organisations work". The HSE response shows that if employers, as mine does, accept that if we are prepared to represent non-members then the 1996 Regs do not apply, which is what I have said all along.

He also said that my approach can't possibly help anyone I represent. I have had considerable success in recruiting non-members when they see what the union does on their behalf.

I just don't accept the necessity to establish a network of ROES whose constituency is problematic when safety reps are already in place.

Admin  
#33 Posted : 26 November 2003 13:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch
Kieran, and others flying the TU flag.

The 1996 Regs state...

Where there are employees who are NOT represented by safety representatives under the 1977 Regulations, the employer SHALL consult those employees in good time on matters relating to their health and safety at work.....

You state that the 1996 Regs don't apply when the TU safety reps have agreed to represent non-members.

However, legislation sets minimum standards. Just because there is no DUTY on the employer to consult with non-union members, this does not prohibit them from deciding that consulting such staff via the arrangements in the 1996 MIGHT be the best way of consulting them and thence promoting ownership of H&S issues amongst non-union members.

The employer may perceive that the TU rep's constituency does not readily include those who are not their members.

For example within Shane's employer, the MOD, some staff will be specifically prohibited from joining a TU, whereas the civvies are not. Can the TU rep elected to represent the civvies effectively represent the squaddy whose work and workplace are substantially different, and sometimes far removed from that of the civvy.

Perhaps in the interests of H&S in such circumstances the best solution would be for some or all of those not in a TU to be consulted via the principles of the 1996 Regs. This is a matter of choice for the employer (consulting the workforce as appropriate!!)

Of course it is also important to make sure that the training of ROESs is such as to not put them at a major disadvantage when in the same forum as a TU rep who has received excellent training (which in my experience often makes them better qualified to make decisions about H&S than the management).

Regards, Peter

Admin  
#34 Posted : 26 November 2003 14:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
Although all employees must be consulted only TU appointed Safety Reps have the legal right to attend safety committees. Of course that will all change with the Health and Safety (Employee Consultation and Representation) Regulations.

Anyone know where the promised Con Doc has got to?

The draft condoc said:

Establishment of safety committees

'35. We are proposing in the harmonized Regulations (see regulation 17) that elected employee safety representatives will have the same right as trade union safety representatives in being able to request that their employer establishes a safety committee.

Under the 1996 Regulations this right does not exist for elected representatives'.

Personally I would rather the old system of TU appointed reps but that’s probably my age. However, I think there is no option but to go down this road as TU reps are very thin on the ground in many organizations now. There will be major costs (and some benefits) for large employers though: elections, training etc. And the additional rights of TU reps will have implications too, eg not having to be employee where they are the rep.
Admin  
#35 Posted : 26 November 2003 15:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Bennett
The CD is in the bin! One of the "stakeholders" has stated that it is unacceptable, and no way forward can be found to merge the 2 sets of Regs - so it has been shelved. This information if from the TUC Union H&S Specialists (UHSS)meeting at Congress House last week.
Admin  
#36 Posted : 26 November 2003 16:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston
Jack

Your are right when you state that "only TU Reps have the right to attend Safety Committees", in that the employer has to include them if he wants to or not. However just because ROES do not have a legal right, and the employer does not have to include them in the committee, there is nothing stopping the employer including ROES in the committee if he so wishes.

Shane
Admin  
#37 Posted : 27 November 2003 08:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
Dave, that's helpful. Do you have any more information.

Shane, did I say otherwise?
Admin  
#38 Posted : 27 November 2003 12:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gilly Margrave
Peter raises an interesting point about the MOD and the representaion of squaddies. As I recall the 1996 Regs in relation to the armed forces the ROES are appointed rather than elected and do not have the right to paid time off to perform their duties as a representative. Could this be at the heart of Shane's problem rather than ROES per se?

Gilly
Admin  
#39 Posted : 27 November 2003 13:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston
I work for a Trading Fund of the MoD, and operate along the same lines as a private company (i.e. we are in open competition for our work). We have no military employees. ROES are not appointed by management but are elected by employees (just like TU Reps). Both ROES and TU Reps represent the views of those who elected them. If the views of the ROES and TU Reps differ then that simply reflects the views of those they represent.

Again, why would TU Reps want to exclude ROES from having their say ?

Shane.
Admin  
#40 Posted : 27 November 2003 16:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gilly Margrave
Why not turn the question on its head? Why would an employer want to waste resources duplicating the work of the TU Reps? Is there some reason why the employer doesn't want to simply let the TU Reps discharge the duties for which they were appointed. The ROES have the same right to be consulted as any other individuals - via the TU Reps.
Gilly