Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2003 23:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart James Gornall I have had experiences where HSE / EHO Health and Safety inspectors have given bad advice to my clients ( I am a Health and Safety Consultant) Two recent examples Food Company Advice given by EHO Your employees have been issued PPE and trained how to use it, therefore it is up to them whether they use it or not Client was gobsmacked when I advised that it was his responsibility to enforce the wearing of PPE where identified to protect against a specified risk Manufacturing Company Mezzanine floor 3 metres above ground level. Fragile wooden door is not sufficient to withstand the impact of a fall against it risk of fall of 3 metres. Employees have to open the door for loading and unloading purposes thus approaching the edge presenting a risk of falls Advice given by HSE Inspector If possible put a moveable bar up at the edge to prevent falls (employees would still however have to open door for loading and unloading purposes thus approaching edge risk of falls) HSE Inspector not particularly concerned about falls from height risk. However the same inspector was concerned about savlon in the first aid box and a chair in the office that could cause problems whilst using a computer (risk managemnt at its best me thinks !) I myself did a detailed inspection of the site and identified that the mezzanine floor required an up and over barrier type device that means that edge protection will remain in place at all times whilst loading and unloading is taking place which would ensure that employees would not have to approach an unguarded edge I also have experience of the HSE pursuing consultants /Safety Managers for allegedly missing 'things' whilst carrying out inspections. This smacks of do as I say not as I do ! This is not an attack on enforcement however we are all trying to prevent accidents / occupational ill health and enforcement needs to be effective and focused, bearing in mind the lack of resources What do others think Stuart Gornall Pg Dip Dip HS MIOSH RSP
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 November 2003 11:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Stuart It just shows that we are fallible. Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 November 2003 11:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Stuart, A mute point, H&S Enforcement Officers are there to do one thing! Enforce on Statute, if you want advice go to a person who gives this. Eg if you do not have a 'guard' on a machine which is legally supposed to be there, an enforcement notice will be served to ensure that a suitable guard is supplied which complies with legislation, it is up to the employer to ensure the guard is suitable and satisfies the notice etc and while there Sect 2 and other offences could have been committed as well. Remember enforcers enforce and advisors advise! Still agree the advice was 'flawed'