Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 December 2003 10:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Micklewright The fire alarm system in our building was recently changed, However, we have just had a fire-alarm test and discovered that the self-closures on the doors on the stairwell no longer close. I contacted the lanlord responsible for the building and was promptly told that "it wouldn't work because it was on the old system". When I told him that this puts our staff at risk as it no longer cuts off the stairwell, his response was "well, I will tell our health and safety person when he comes again". Despite my stating that this was not adequate for our offices and could I have the contractor's details to request re-connection, he was not forthcoming with the information. Please could you advise as to what to do, if the door closures are in place should they be working? Thanks Simon
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 December 2003 10:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson The chances are that as you are in an Office Block there is a Fire Certificate for the building. If the landlord has changed the alarm system and it materially affects the means of escape, which from your description it does, then he should have received approval from the Fire Brigade. I would give the FB a call and seek their advice.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 December 2003 12:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor It sounds like you have magnetic holders previously activated by the fire alarm system - but not now connected. If this is the case the system no longer meets the required standard and the holders must be reactivated or replaced by standard self-closers to protect the stairway. The fire authority can enforce this if necessary.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 03 December 2003 13:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Can't say I fully understand this. If it is magnetic doors we are talking about - surely if they were disconnected the doors would be closed all the time - a fail safe system?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 December 2003 14:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor It's the only explanation that springs to my mind given the information that changing the fire alarm system now means that the doors no longer close. If this is so, they may be held open by the magnets by staff for ventilation or convenience of access and remain so as there is no de-activation of the holders by the new alarm system. Perhaps Simon could explain further?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 03 December 2003 14:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lewis T Roberts As if the Safety Man can magically make them work!!! The liability and responsibilty lies with wholly the landlord. Take advice from the local fire service. Lew
Admin  
#7 Posted : 03 December 2003 14:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lewis T Roberts Fire Brigade??? come on chaps up with it. Lew
Admin  
#8 Posted : 03 December 2003 16:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson The local FPO at the Fire Aurhority is the right place to go and also the building Control / Planning Dept of the Local Authority as I think they should have got Building Regs permission for this. Problem with FPO is that they usually don't get the notification until after the work is done and appear 6 months later but Building Control should have authorised. Ask for a copy of Fire Risk Assessment as this materially changes the MOE.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 06 February 2004 14:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas Simon, As a stairwell is a place of "relative safety" therefore the door must close, even if the magnets on the doors were not working then the door would still close because of the self closers at the top of the door. Your land lord is legally bound to ensure that the door closers are in good working order. Call in your Local Fire Authority I am sure they would be only too glad to help. Rod D
Admin  
#10 Posted : 06 February 2004 16:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Wright I concur with other responders. Don't beat your up about it. Let the Fire Authority know straight away and let them deal. Based upon your information, the landlord has responsibility to make the system 'good'.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 24 February 2004 00:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ivorfire From the description it sounds as if the new fire alarm system has not had the automatic self closers connected into the new system. Notify your local fire service (fire safety office) and ask them to inspect, especially as there has been changes to the fire alarm system. If need be make it a complaint. May want to also see why the fire alarm has been changed, in the first place? If there is a fire certificate in force it will form part of the conditions of the fire cetificate, to safe gaurd the means for securing the means of escape. It should also be dealt with under the fire risk assessment that your employer should have completed. The fire risk assessment should be suitable and sufficent and should be updated when it is considered to be no longer valid. Signifacnt findings e.g. like defective self closing devices should be addressed in a short time period. The door closures (when working) are protecting the staircase from the spread of fire & smoke. It is safe gaurding the stairs and the route from the stairs for all persons on the fllors the stairs is serving. If the staircase is the only stairs for any part of the building, make sure this is actioned as soon as possible as it is imperative that the protection is provided. Hope this helps.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 24 February 2004 09:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By martin morrow simon , as a serving firefighter I can tell you that there is a breach of the fire certificate here , because when the the local fire service do the fire safety inspections on certificated premises the doors are tested to ensure the are operating correctly , dont forget these doors have probably got intumescent strips to keep out smoke and they are probably 1 hour fire resisting , call the fire safety department of your local fire station tell them how many people are affected and they should act within a short time , also remember that 14 pensioners who died recently in scotland were probably killed by smoke due to doors being left open , sadly the government wants to give more and more power to the occupiers to ensure the fire safety checks are carried out instead of using fire brigade personnel, when we took industrial action recently it was not just for a fair wage it was also to highlight the governments plans for massive cuts = DANGER TO THE PUBLIC !!! . regards M.